Botany Bay - Squid

Nutz4Fishin

Hi mate

A good place to have a go is off bare island just off to the right of the bridge as you're looking at the island.

Using a quality squid jig is a contributing factor to catching squid, yes you may get on the.cheaper ones now and again , but the more expensive ones are better designed IMO. Also applying the correct weight to the environment is essential, if fishing deeper waters a faster sinking jig is better, when fishing the weed beds around bare island a slow sinking jig would be the way to go, giving you more time to work the jig and not loosing it to botany bay.

Technique does play a role, I switch it around if it's quiet, I usually start off with a jerk jerk wind for 15 or so minutes, then to a slow retrieve for the same amount of time, the. Mix it up with a combination of the 2.

Jig colour needs to be thought about if squiding during the day but generally I've found the pinkish reds or there abouts work well, but it's good to have a few colours on hand for a change when it gets quiet.