Southern Snowies

The huge volumes of rain has hampered all attempts at fly fishing.

The floods have been unprecedented from Cooma to Thredbo.

So after a week of dry weather we chanced a trip to the Thredbo for Saturday.

I was crestfallen to hear they had 62 mm on Friday night at Thredbo.

The river was not as high as I expected and with Evi having a rest ventured out below the Ski Tube.

Yes it was very fast but fishable. One good fish came up to a stimulator and did not take it. Nothing was interested in the nymph below. I decided to put on my variation of a Royal Wulff, still nothing in the next 2 runs.

post-10909-003983600 1332153759_thumb.jpg

I went downstream to a spot that had produced in the past. I was minding my own business when this large head appeared, took the Wulff and went downstream. The run led into a huge pool and there he sat. The sound of my reel alerted another fisherman walking past and I am lucky it did.

The next part will sound unbelievable but it is true.

This fish sat on the bottom and with all the side strain I could dare on 6 lb line and 4 weight rod could move him say 1 M out of the current then he would take off on a 20M run. Get him back and start again. During one run my line knotted into the spool. With the help of the other guy I removed the spool and luckily my friend was into his sulking routine. We cleared the knot just as he took off again. The fight must have been an hour. It was the longest battle by far I have had, including bigger NZ fish.

Took a few quick pictures, length check against the rod and released him. The guy who stayed with me was great. He just wanted to help and see how big he was. I am so grateful.

post-10909-068387300 1332153716_thumb.jpg

post-10909-060826600 1332153732_thumb.jpg

The fly was hooked on the outside of the mouth. The skin is very tough that is why it was able to sustain such a long time with the strain.

post-10909-085427300 1332153746_thumb.jpg

By this time the sun had gone and the reason for the fish to look up. Fishing was slow and managed 1 small fish that was rising.

The next day Evi and I walked into the Burrengabuggy. This is a delightful high country stream that normally has lots of small to medium sized rainbows. It lies between the Gungarlin and Island bend and the walk in from Island bend takes about 1 hour.

post-10909-085719900 1332153773_thumb.jpg

post-10909-084811200 1332153785_thumb.jpg

There were no fish. I can only assume it is like Cave creek and the massive rains have washed them out. We will arrange restocking but that is another story.

Fished that evening back on Thredbo for 3 fish to the Wulff up to 1 Kilo. The water looked so inviting today but had to go home. This is unfinished business

I will be back soon.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, wow that is a cracker Brownie and what a great battle you had!

Man river fishing for trout is the ticket.

Unfortunately I just don't know where to go, which is why I tend to fish the Blue Mountains lakes.

If you could suggest some river spots, I would most appreciate it.

Again, awesome fish Geoff, well done mate!

Edited by foolforjesus