First shark

bergo

G'day raiders I haven't had a chance to post yet but about 6 weeks ago on a Friday arvo after work and headed out the harbour hoping to downrigg! Cause of the rubbish weather the 4m tinny was getting smashed we tucked into a little bay just out of middle harbour for protection. Started to burley hard and as usual the food chain affect starts after get pecked to death by little pinkies we hook into a fish that was pulling not bad although we were only using 6lb line! As it comes up we see what we called as a spangled emperor when I put pics up correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway he went back in the drink. We noticed an abundance of yakkas in our burley trail so down goes the bait just managed to get one and out he goes within 10 mins we notice the yakka bouncing around and I thought straight away something is on that then whitebait starts jumping and the rod loads up for a second then nothing!! Left it for about a minute then thought I've been done here so reeled it in. Yakka was still on but dead and teeth marks all over it I thought stuff it and launched it out to the same spot within 30seconds the rod loads up and a run of about 50 metres. A few big head shakes and then another run of about 100m I had no idea what it was in my mind I was hoping big Jew until the fight turned into tug o war mind you I was using 20lb line. After about 10-15 minutes I look down and see the white belly of a death rolling shark we bring it up tail grab it and bring it in the boat high fives all round! We continue fishing and nothing for another 2 hours so we head back in! We measured and weighed the shark to 1.30m and 19kg all in all a good trip with enough flake to last a lifetime :) cheers Gary

post-10115-002854800 1332229091_thumb.jpg

post-10115-083330600 1332229150_thumb.jpg

post-10115-094940800 1332229187_thumb.jpg

Edited by bergo

a sprangled emperor? i thought they were typically a tropic fish. Great to see you have caught one down here

They are a tropical fish. However, they are know to stray down our way from time to time. I have seen one pulled up from Balmoral Wharf (45cm). They are actually a regular species out at Lord Howe Island so that might explain why they are turning up here