Fishing Knives

Ken A

I was wondering what the most popular knives are among the members? I am still using my Pumas - purchased in 1977 & still going strong :biggrin2: . I use those for cleaning & filleting & I have a couple Kershaws & Vitrinox for cutting bait & that type of thing.

Here's a pic of my trusty Pumas. If I had a dollar for every time I have used them...... :biggrin2:

post-1-1120113738_thumb.jpg

I have a variety of cheapies for bait cutting. I have a cheap frost filet knife that is ok, but is very brittle. I also ave one of those jarvis walker knife kits, great knife designs but geez they are crap blades! :wacko:

I plan on getting two knives, exaclty like what you have there ken, one for fillets, the other for gutting and other duties. But when I do I have to make sure they stay out of site because when I have had good knives in the past I often turn around to see people hacking bait with them on a rock. :ranting2:

Pumas - purchased in 1977 & still going strong  :biggrin2:

post-1-1120113738_thumb.jpg

55777[/snapback]

Boy cant complain about near on 30 years :1yikes:

I'm actually in the market for a quality knife, Ive just been using cheapies and have been seen cutting bait on the rocks too Bashir :biggrin2:

Ive got a cheap rex hunt fillet knife from K mart.

But I cant keep it from rusting. I wash it in fresh water and scrub it with some steel wool after every outing but it still gets rust spots on it. Is this the right way to maintain it or am I forgetting something?

They have been through the odd fish in that time too Clutch. Back then I had to save for weeks to buy them. The set cost me $200 & that was a LOT of money back then. Still you get what you pay for.

Bashir you may have trouble finding the bait knife. I have seen the filleter around the net at interesting prices :biggrin2: Hope you can find a set I'd be interested in the price nowdays. I NEVER let anyone use mine. If I saw someone hacking them on a rock I would fillet their forearm :1prop:

Ken,

only cheap knives i have on my boat are in the holsters on the bait board(yes, you know why Ken) :biggrin2:

For those that dont.....they are the ones that constantly go overboard when you have your MATES on board :05::1yikes: .

As for what i use, When i go fishing, i always take my knife block which consists of a good array of knives.

I have some victorinox knives for skinning and boning. I also have some Dexter Russels for large filleting.

I also have some Large knives i use for cutting thru backbones or hard skin like big dollies and marlin etc that were made by SMART and were very expensive when i was in food industry 15yrs ago.

Best knives i have used for comfort and edge holding is definately Dexter Russells though :thumbup:

changa

Guest Jocool

I just use the cheapie Frost ones. Have a couple on the boat, but I keep one in the kitchen and one in the gargae that are looked after and have worked great for me. But then again I don't do a lot of filleting/boning so they suit my needs.

As an aside...I found an Oldtimer knife at Windsor after a rodeo there. Been shaved down a bit, but it holds a good edge. :thumbup:

My old man bought the same set as me back in 77 also. He keeps them hidden away & I reckon they have been used about 4 times :1prop: I reckon between mine & his I'll never need to buy another knife.

Guest bluecod

I had a good set of Puma knives stolen from my car, so now I use Kershaw in the boat and also keep a set of very old chef quality knives for use away from the salt [these get washed, touched-up and re-oiled after every use]

Cheap knives for me too! :1prop:

I've lost too many good ones over the side to warrant spending up on the better ones anymore.

I do however carry a "Victorinox" pocket knife, they are just the best thing out when it comes to knives. :04:

cheers

Hooky

I've got a Puma filleting knife too Ken. I don't use them during fishing trips though, I only use them at home when I cut the fillets. They're top knife !!

On fishing trips I just use some no brand knife to cut up the baits and to bleed the pelagics.

cheers,

Mario

Cheap ones for me ... :1naughty:

ive got jarvis walker set three nives from k mart and a chopping board

rust real easy but easy to fix. There pretty sharp and they do the job for me :1yikes:

I've used a stack of knives and the 8" Dexter Russell is the best i've used so far. I'm sure there are better knives out there, but in the $50 price range.....nothing comes near it :thumbup:

Red

well i also use cheapies from K mart. Had a good knife once and over the side she went when my wife tried to cut some bait. This way, when (not if) mimi does it again, i wont cry.

harold

I use a gerber filleting knife which I think is a top knife to own. Bought it in the states ard 5 years. It's an excellent knife and all that is needed is a few strokes on a sharpener before using.

regards

Darryl

I use a Muelay knife for most things...

Cost a fair bit but is apparently useful for 'cutting open a wild pig's neck', which should come in handy one day... :1naughty::1naughty:

Haha but seriously it is a damn good knife, has a nice weight to it and holds its edge quite well...