Clifton Gardens

dwan8337

Hi fellow Fishraiders,

Here i am posting fishing reports in the middle of university lecture :thumbup:

My fishing partner and I have been hitting Clifton Gardens for the past few weeks getting there at around 3am. Note to self: No matter how early you go, there's always someone else earlier..

Anyways there's been a lot of action than usual at Clifton. There are some serious bite size Yakkas you can berley up from underneath the pylons. I'd say approximately 10cm! The Trevs show up at first light along with schools of good bream, and as the Sun rises your bonito schools mixed with Salmon and Frigates start busting up in and around the wharf. Too bad the blokes around us don't understand the concept of matching the hatch, and the boaties don't know how to follow a school instead of motoring up to it in excitement.

I met a japanese bloke who livebaits with those bitesize yakkas and he seems to be getting his Kings late into the afternoon. You see them around in the morning, but not interested in anything other than my pilly fillet floated down in the berley trail on 4Lb leader. lost about 40-50m of good japanese braid :ranting2:

The action usually dies down around 9am although the surface bust ups may last for another few hours or so. Catching the bonitos/frigates from the wharf would come down to pilly under a float because a micro bait sized soft plastic just won't make the distance in your cast.

Oh, almost forgot the mention the Soapies that come around 50m off the head of the wharf. I believe there is a major drop off judging from the time my sinker takes to sink compared to distances slightly closer. Getting a cast in at the head of the wharf nearly meant life and death for a fisho when a fight nearly started over number of lines out. Amazing how people can just come greet you, smile, then squeeze in next to you. Freshly caught squid again comes out trumps.

Fishing at Clifton can be pretty annoying just because there seems to be drop in manners when it comes to getting fishing spots. However, as Clifton top dogs :1fishing1: we managed to pick up 10 bonitos, 5 trevally, lost count on the bream. This was all in the berley trail with ultra light leader.

Here's the fruits of our labour and the aftermath from waking up at 2am... :yahoo:

post-17226-042570600 1333064417_thumb.jpg

post-17226-004339900 1333064549_thumb.jpg

awsome effort mate,

you didnt try the old hand in a bowl of warm water trick on your mate did you :P

I passed out face first on the floor, He had his hands on my guinea pig the whole time he napped. Poor thing was too scared to move! You got any fishing plans this weekend? We're thinking about a lure only day hitting the Hacking maybe Sunday.

Good report Clifton top dogs!. A very nice detail report from the area's Alpha fisherman. You guys know how to enjoy your fish too by the looks of things.

Will steer clear of your turf. :thumbup:

We're hanging up the old boots at Clifton! Maybe see you on the water. Give us a wave if you spot a yellow 4.5m Poly with two Asian blokes wearing the same outfit!

Hey Dwan8337,

Again you have excelled yourself in an awesome report.

This is the kind of thing that young blokes with lots of enthusiasm will do.

I'm very jealous of youse (gotta throw in a colloquiallism) as I used to do the same sort of things myself in the old days.

The arguments with the swimmers divebombing your burley trail, boaties anchoring 10m from the wharf, people knocking your bucket, bait, gear into the water and all of the other fight-starting shenanigans.

I don't miss them at all. They can fight it out themselves....

But, sleeping face down on the timber floor - mate the Nepalese monks would be proud of that effort !

Are you sure you didn't stop over for a drink or two ?

Falling asleep while petting a guinea pig is classic...

Just as well you didn't make it to the bed....

The photo would have been even more embarrassing !

Out on the boat - two guys in a yellow poly, wearing the same outfit ????

Bill and ben the poly-pot men ?

At least wear different clothes and don't stand too close to eachother when fishing......

Also, no giggling allowed....:1prop:

Just kidding guys.

Love your stuff.

Tony.

Edited by Keflapod

Great report Dwan :) just curious.. Are there lights there? Or do you just take your own? I hate fishing in crowded places, so thinking nights/early mornings might just be the go! Oh and is the parking paid there 24/7 or only certain hours? I've tried Greenwich lately but gets too busy :(

Hey Dwan8337,

Again you have excelled yourself in an awesome report.

This is the kind of thing that young blokes with lots of enthusiasm will do.

I'm very jealous of youse (gotta throw in a colloquiallism) as I used to do the same sort of things myself in the old days.

The arguments with the swimmers divebombing your burley trail, boaties anchoring 10m from the wharf, people knocking your bucket, bait, gear into the water and all of the other fight-starting shenanigans.

I don't miss them at all. They can fight it out themselves....

But, sleeping face down on the timber floor - mate the Nepalese monks would be proud of that effort !

Are you sure you didn't stop over for a drink or two ?

Falling asleep while petting a guinea pig is classic...

Just as well you didn't make it to the bed....

The photo would have been even more embarrassing !

Out on the boat - two guys in a yellow poly, wearing the same outfit ????

Bill and ben the poly-pot men ?

At least wear different clothes and don't stand too close to eachother when fishing......

Also, no giggling allowed....:1prop:

Just kidding guys.

Love your stuff.

Tony.

Fishing off the wharf and dealing with all the things you've said is quite a challenge in it self :biggrin2:

About the same outfit....Yer we like to feel like we're sponsored and often that leads to bream tournaments with ourselves. You'd be suprised at the amount of rivalry when there aren't even stakes involved. Got to walk the walk eh?

On the topic of giggling...walked into BCF the other day with my buddy. Asked the store guy to show me his favourite bream lures, and i'm just giggling in front of him because thinking of catching a bream on lure just makes you smile :074:

More posts coming up this weekend. Should be about the Hacking for now. We'll try and add videos next time as well.

Cheers

David

Good read and entertaining report, and I'm not going to say anything about the bit.... "He had his hands on my guinea pig the whole time he napped..." What you call it is up to you. Hehehehehehe.

Cheers

Open to discussion haha :thumbup: I reckon he thought it was a 2kg block of pillies.

Great report Dwan :) just curious.. Are there lights there? Or do you just take your own? I hate fishing in crowded places, so thinking nights/early mornings might just be the go! Oh and is the parking paid there 24/7 or only certain hours? I've tried Greenwich lately but gets too busy :(

There are lights only in the Parking. You'd have to bring your own head torch or just count on generous randoms. This spot gets pretty crowded from 5am on wards. As Clifton top dogs :yahoo: I recommend heading out early just to get the top right hand corner, the first 4 railings is where the fish are at. Although lately i've found how the sun casts shadows from the wharf onto the water makes bit more difference (They in the shadows more, more wary compared to in the sun).

Now days, the Mosman Council locks up the gates at 8pm at night i think, and keeps it closed till about 4am. Sometimes 5:30 if you're lucky. Parking in the bays need to be paid for from 8am so keep an eye out on time. Or you could just park outside the gates and walk it (only a bit extra). I've never been Greenwich, as soon as I hear any spots linked with Jewie I steer clear right away just from the crowd factor.

Cheers

David

Thanks for that .. Especially your 'top dog' advice on choice of spot ;) hopefully I'll be able to give it a go sometime in the near future!

Oh and I only stumbled across the spot at Greenwich the other day. I don't live near the water and have only been fishing the last year so still seeking good locations. It definitely seems to be a popular choice though

Thanks for that .. Especially your 'top dog' advice on choice of spot ;) hopefully I'll be able to give it a go sometime in the near future!

Oh and I only stumbled across the spot at Greenwich the other day. I don't live near the water and have only been fishing the last year so still seeking good locations. It definitely seems to be a popular choice though

You're welcome Bud, PM me if you want more advice on that spot as me and my mate have nearly learnt most of the tricks to Clifton.

• 9 months later...

Hi fellow Fishraiders,

Here i am posting fishing reports in the middle of university lecture :thumbup:

My fishing partner and I have been hitting Clifton Gardens for the past few weeks getting there at around 3am. Note to self: No matter how early you go, there's always someone else earlier..

Anyways there's been a lot of action than usual at Clifton. There are some serious bite size Yakkas you can berley up from underneath the pylons. I'd say approximately 10cm! The Trevs show up at first light along with schools of good bream, and as the Sun rises your bonito schools mixed with Salmon and Frigates start busting up in and around the wharf. Too bad the blokes around us don't understand the concept of matching the hatch, and the boaties don't know how to follow a school instead of motoring up to it in excitement.

I met a japanese bloke who livebaits with those bitesize yakkas and he seems to be getting his Kings late into the afternoon. You see them around in the morning, but not interested in anything other than my pilly fillet floated down in the berley trail on 4Lb leader. lost about 40-50m of good japanese braid :ranting2:

The action usually dies down around 9am although the surface bust ups may last for another few hours or so. Catching the bonitos/frigates from the wharf would come down to pilly under a float because a micro bait sized soft plastic just won't make the distance in your cast.

Oh, almost forgot the mention the Soapies that come around 50m off the head of the wharf. I believe there is a major drop off judging from the time my sinker takes to sink compared to distances slightly closer. Getting a cast in at the head of the wharf nearly meant life and death for a fisho when a fight nearly started over number of lines out. Amazing how people can just come greet you, smile, then squeeze in next to you. Freshly caught squid again comes out trumps.

Fishing at Clifton can be pretty annoying just because there seems to be drop in manners when it comes to getting fishing spots. However, as Clifton top dogs :1fishing1: we managed to pick up 10 bonitos, 5 trevally, lost count on the bream. This was all in the berley trail with ultra light leader.

Here's the fruits of our labour and the aftermath from waking up at 2am... :yahoo:

p