Green Toad Warning!

james7

Trolled out of the Hacking around Jibbon bommie a dozen times for just a couple of tailor. Headed south along the Royal National Park nearly as far as Garie for nothing. Trolled back north a bit wider off the cliffs again for zip.

Stopped for a while near Marley hoping to get a few flathead on the drift. Managed a couple before the !@#!#! green toads arrived. They killed us! They followed us everywhere we stopped north and south, shallow and deep. We lost a lot of gear. Sick of it, we headed back to Bate Bay and fished off Cronulla and Wanda for a couple of hours, but the baits were hardly touched.

My mate Syd with the two tailor

post-4381-056652300 1333501964_thumb.jpg

Syd with a couple of flatties.

post-4381-045226600 1333501982_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Great to read a report from You and Syd, Peter! :yahoo:

A couple of very nice tailor for the smoker and some very tasty flatties. What a shame those bloody toads destroyed what was looking to be a very productive session. :ranting2:

Good luck if you're wetting a line over Easter mate.

Cheers

Skip

A shame about the green toads turning up. Have not seen them for a while, even caught them off Lilli Pilli some years ago. The bastards can swim surprisingly fast after a bait or a lure.

Probably does not have a coffee table small enough. The 4 fish would look like tiddlers on his big table. :074:

There are a few nice sized tailor inside the Port at present, so might be more up river than around the bombie.

Edited by yowie

Nice to be out and about fishing,the fish are on which is nice but those toads are unbelievable.

i put wire trace on my line on sunday to cope with the large plague,don,t remember seeing so many toads along the coast that i can remember.

We found they dropped off as you headed deep past the 140-170 ft zone.

Great work on those nice tailor bet there heading for the smoker

Chris.

Good to see you got a feed, Peter - those green toads are a real pain!! We have them in the lake over at Tuncurry & they are HUGE! A dead weight when you hook one! ranting2.gif

Hope you get out & about & into some nicer fish over easter! Have a good one

cheers

Roberta

First time heard green toads in sea. Didn't know that there are saltwater frogs in Australia. Are they poisonous?

Here's a picture of the line snipping little ba@tards.

post-4381-091895800 1333581151_thumb.jpg

post-4381-087340700 1333581160_thumb.jpg

They can cut through 80lb braid like it was cotton.

At least leatherjackets are good to eat. Green toads just cost me a fortune in lead and braid, and raise my blood pressure!

Cheers

Peter

I was out catching Flatties off Swansea 2 weeks ago and was getting the occasional Leatherjacket or snipped line. Nothing to worry about, but then I pulled up a 3/0 Nickel plated Mustad suicide hook bitten off halfway. There is only one answer to the riddle. Green Toad and sure enough I got 2 before too long.

Last weekend I had them following my line to the surface. Luckily they are only little buggers. They are hanging in the mid-water with the LJ's.