South Pacific island landbased fishing

Kooks

I have posted 2 similar post as I thought I didn't press the submit button at work...how do I delete a post?

Hi Radiers,

I need some help. I'm planing a holiday somewhere in south pacific islands (Fiji, Samoa, tonga etc) with my girlfriend and want some advice on destinations. What I want to do is landbased fishing for small GT's queenfish etc. or the beach/rocks but the catch is it needs to be right where a 4-5 star resort will be.

Last time i went I stayed at the Intercontinental Golf resort in Fiji...This place was great as it had access to deep water via a large natural harbour. See image. This gave me access to Trevally, mackerel and other assorted fish that I never got close enough to sight before they bust me off.

post-12654-009294800 1333678132_thumb.png

I will prob go out on a boat once or twice but I do enjoy a bit of prospecting with lures in the morning before breakfast.

So anyone know of destinations that is close to what I want?

cheers

Edited by Kooks

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted 2 similar post as I thought I didn't press the submit button at work...how do I delete a post?

Hi Radiers,

I need some help. I'm planing a holiday somewhere in south pacific islands (Fiji, Samoa, tonga etc) with my girlfriend and want some advice on destinations. What I want to do is landbased fishing for small GT's queenfish etc. or the beach/rocks but the catch is it needs to be right where a 4-5 star resort will be.

Last time i went I stayed at the Intercontinental Golf resort in Fiji...This place was great as it had access to deep water via a large natural harbour. See image. This gave me access to Trevally, mackerel and other assorted fish that I never got close enough to sight before they bust me off.

I will prob go out on a boat once or twice but I do enjoy a bit of prospecting with lures in the morning before breakfast.

cheers

I have done some fishing at Intercontinental Golf resort where i walked out during low tide towards the end of that island that you see and the fishing was amazing... I reckon anywhere in the pacific fishing will be hot..

• 2 months later...

Hi Radiers,

cheers

Kooks, what gear (rod, reels, line, lures etc) did you use last time you were in Fiji?

I will be doing a similar thing in Indonesia later this year - throwing poppers, lures, etc from the reef on low tide hoping to catch, well, anything!

But probably just small GT's and the like.

Thanks

Haven't been there but generally speaking, i'd be looking for 3 things. Reef, Bait and drop-offs/deep water. These areas are great for chuckning poppers around and some high speed spinning too. Should be trevally centrl around where your going!

Somehow I missed all these post.

Well it's been booked I'm staying at 2 resorts on Malolo Island Fiji. http://goo.gl/maps/0dng

Unfortunately it seems some places don't allow beach fishing but I'll suss it out when I'm there.

Burnsy74:

Yeh I looked into that Jacque Cousteau resort....it didn't quite fit the bill with the lady. The fishing sounds great.

B Man:

Last time i took an ugly stick travel rod 4-6kg, a crappy shimano FX 4000 spooled with 6kg mono. Lure wise I took soft plastics. I took about a dozen and went through them all from bust offs.

Now I'm older and wiser this is my set up:

Rod

6-8kg Shimano Raider 7 foot travel rod

Reel

My new Okuma Trio 40s spooked with 15lb power pro ( I bought these 2 items online for sub $100 - stoked). I'll also take my cheap Okuma Vectra as well, for use in the kayak.

Lures

Small Halco rooster popper.

Rapala subwalk

Selection of Halco twisties

a couple of TT blades

A a couple of packs of prerigged SPs

Well it's been booked I'm staying at 2 resorts on Malolo Island Fiji. http://goo.gl/maps/0dng

Unfortunately it seems some places don't allow beach fishing but I'll suss it out when I'm there.

Burnsy74:

Yeh I looked into that Jacque Cousteau resort....it didn't quite fit the bill with the lady. The fishing sounds great.

B Man:

Last time i took an ugly stick travel rod 4-6kg, a crappy shimano FX 4000 spooled with 6kg mono. Lure wise I took soft plastics. I took about a dozen and went through them all from bust offs.

Rod

Reel

My new Okuma Trio 40s spooked with 15lb power pro ( I bought these 2 items online for sub $100 - stoked). I'll also take my cheap Okuma Vectra as well, for use in the kayak.

Lures

Rapala subwalk

a couple of TT blades

Thanks for that Kooks. Thats pretty much the gear that I had in mind.

I have stayed at Malolo at Liku-Liku. Its the most amazing resort i've seen.

Im sure you will have a great time if thats where you are going. I didn't fish, but had a lot of fun!

Thanks for that Kooks. Thats pretty much the gear that I had in mind.

I have stayed at Malolo at Liku-Liku. Its the most amazing resort i've seen.

Im sure you will have a great time if thats where you are going. I didn't fish, but had a lot of fun!

Cool...I'm staying at the same place. Any tips for fishing there? Did you fish off the beach or kayaks?

PM me any info of charters etc

Burnsy74:

B Man:

Rod

Reel

Lures

Rapala subwalk

a couple of TT blades

hi kooks, just wondering about the shimano raider rod you have, is it the barra model or snapper model, the reason I ask is I'm looking for a 7 foot travel rod that I can also use my heavy baitrunner when reef fishing by boat and also use it for Jewfish/salmon on soft plastics and lures what do you think because I've seen it for around the $100 mark and thought you might have an idea,

And 2ndly what's the okuma trios 40s like it looks pretty good to match with that rod

Any help would be appreciated

Tight lines,

Shakeel

hi kooks, just wondering about the shimano raider rod you have, is it the barra model or snapper model, the reason I ask is I'm looking for a 7 foot travel rod that I can also use my heavy baitrunner when reef fishing by boat and also use it for Jewfish/salmon on soft plastics and lures what do you think because I've seen it for around the $100 mark and thought you might have an idea,

And 2ndly what's the okuma trios 40s like it looks pretty good to match with that rod

Any help would be appreciated

Tight lines,

Shakeel

I haven't bought the rod yet. I've had a look at it in store but I'm waiting til about a month out so I get duty free on the gear I'm buying. I have the reel already but yet to even spool it yet...maybe this weekend. I'm looking at the snapper 6 foot 6-8kg rod. There is the heavier snapper one that is 6-10kg but it seemed too stiff to flick around lighter lures. I'd have a look at the heavier one if you use a reel bigger than 4000...but head in to a store to test them out. I'd also consider a Okuma travel. I haven't seen one but I'm a bit of a fan of Okuma. The 4piece 3-7 kg could be a good fit for a salmon/ small jew rod. I think they are about $150 though

http://www.okuma.com.au/Okumahome/show_one_product.aspx?productgroup=Rods&titleid=GraphiteTravel&iid=280&tech=

If I had more money...let me rephrase that if my lady let me spend my money, I'd get this one. About $250 https://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/rods/inshore/nomad-inshore-travel

Im going to Fiji. hows the fishing there from land? whats a good charter boat from coral coast? davidchef@windowslive.com

If you want to stay on the coral coast in FIJI PM me and I will give you all the details of 2 great local charters