Charade to tow my boat?

zaki10

Hey guys as funny and stupid as it sounds does anyone think I can tow a little boat and trailer with my daily 1993 daihatsu charade it's a 1litre lol not much power but I'm just thinking and wanted to ask if anyone has ever done that themselves? :)

Hey guys as funny and stupid as it sounds does anyone think I can tow a little boat and trailer with my daily 1993 daihatsu charade it's a 1litre lol not much power but I'm just thinking and wanted to ask if anyone has ever done that themselves? :)

itd want to be a light boat and trailer, real light lol.

dont test it on a boat ramp first time,

If it has a towbar, I am sure it says how much you can pull. Otherwise call the towbar fitters. They will tell you.

I asked years ago for a Ford Festiva (older model) and they told me about 500Kg.

If you ckeck on the internet, for your car it is around 400kg

That should be enough for a light trailer with 3.5 Alu dingy and a 10HP engine ( i suppose ). Just be aware of slippery/sandy ramps.

Thanks for the replies guys I'm just new to this boating and I want everything to be perfect its no big deal I'll buy a tow bar for my dads Toyota hiace that's should do the job perfect! Anyways appreciate it all guys :)

Guest Aussie007

a charade will tow a 12 foot tinny no problem i once towed 3 dirt bikes on my sisters old mazda 121 when my car broke down it towed it very easy being a manual i think a auto will struggle

a charade will tow a 12 foot tinny no problem i once towed 3 dirt bikes on my sisters old mazda 121 when my car broke down it towed it very easy being a manual i think a auto will struggle

Oh cool thanks gazza I'll be sure to try it lol you think I'll be capable of towing a 16ft :)

Guest Aussie007

Oh cool thanks gazza I'll be sure to try it lol you think I'll be capable of towing a 16ft :)

nah my mate has a 16foot alloy boat without the splash well and thin sides hes boat would be around 700kg i would think on the trailer ready to roll and wouldnt be able to be towed with a charade u could buy an old VN commodore for a few hundred bucks on a online auction the commodores are tow horses but than u would be up for more fuel and yearly rego and insurance

Guest Aussie007

u could hire a car from a car rental place but than you'd be looking at $60+ fuel each time might be best off buying another car put 6 months rego on it and see if u use it much if not sell it

if your little sister can pull the boat trailer up the boat ramp with her own strength that your charade should do. the power should be on par. lol nah all jokes aside, there are other things to consider.

the faster your travelling the more wind resistance from air cavitating in the tinny and it will be hard to stop especially becuase the trailer will be unbreaked.

Mate even a small subie liberty or early model impreza will tow it well but u will have trouble with a 1 litre. just think if your going ti fish the hawkesbury and have to climb an epic hill on the f3, not going to happen.

ive seen plenty of 2 litres going for around 5k which would be perfect for what your towing. if u need any car suggestions let me know

Mmmmmm, small front wheel drive with 400kg strapped to the back axles...

Don't think so...

Not having a go, just does not sound safe and I am sure you'd agree that safety is not an afterthought.

Yer just wanted to see if anyone out there does it before I go buying a tow bar for the wrong car safety is an issue as I would put that first priority! Thanks but :)

if your little sister can pull the boat trailer up the boat ramp with her own strength that your charade should do. the power should be on par. lol nah all jokes aside, there are other things to consider.

the faster your travelling the more wind resistance from air cavitating in the tinny and it will be hard to stop especially becuase the trailer will be unbreaked.

Mate even a small subie liberty or early model impreza will tow it well but u will have trouble with a 1 litre. just think if your going ti fish the hawkesbury and have to climb an epic hill on the f3, not going to happen.

ive seen plenty of 2 litres going for around 5k which would be perfect for what your towing. if u need any car suggestions let me know

Thanks predator haha appreciate your kindness like I said I have three cars here just thinking before I go buying the wrong tow bar and wanted to see if the charade will do it haha and if I was on the f3 I'll probably be headed on reverse not up the hill but should be ok I'll just get a tow bar for my dads hiace and that beast should tow me in it!

Thanks predator haha appreciate your kindness like I said I have three cars here just thinking before I go buying the wrong tow bar and wanted to see if the charade will do it haha and if I was on the f3 I'll probably be headed on reverse not up the hill but should be ok I'll just get a tow bar for my dads hiace and that beast should tow me in it!

If a hiace is a beast, I wonder what my 250rwkw clubby is :1yikes:

Guest Aussie007

If a hiace is a beast, I wonder what my 250rwkw clubby is :1yikes:

yeah i agree a clubby is nice for a 3 cylinder :biggrin2:

the clubbie could tow a truck... if it could get the traction...... remember the best tow rigs are ones with loads of torque at low rpm.......

sell your 3 cars and buy somethign more suitible?

the clubbie could tow a truck... if it could get the traction...... remember the best tow rigs are ones with loads of torque at low rpm.......

sell your 3 cars and buy somethign more suitible?

the clubby does have loads of torque, can barely feel the boat at the back, but I do know what you mean :biggrin2: I would prefer a 4wd.

I dont think he owns the 3 cars, come to think of it the topic title is incorrect, it should be "a boat" not "my boat"