What to do when you have 2.5 hours free?

dhype

Go Trung!

Great catch! I want to see a photo of the meal cooked! Were you land based or on the boat?

Cooking not required.. love eating the sashimi!

Land based whats that ? hahaha... haven't done landbase for a while now.. squid caught from the boat in botany.

No need to clean the boat as i'm heading out tomorrow!! :thumbup:

Trung

Nice...!

you serious about spiking a squids brains out for better taste? I know you do with fish...

Once you spike the squid 3 x time in the correct place it will ghost white and stay limp forever... if you leave the squid to die "naturally" in the bait tank it will go hard as a baseball bat in no time.

When you eat the squid sashimi .. you can tell the difference for sure.. try it!

All you need is a $10 squid iki jime and a steady hand !!

dhype,

please elaborate on the process of iki jime for squid, I love my sashimi and ceviche' my next recipe will be squid ceviche'd so keen to hear your methods.

Nice catch by the way!

here you go!

Make sure you stab the squid in the correct 3 x spots or it wont turn white!

Hey buddy, nice set of inkers! I've never tried the ones i've caught sashimi style, might give them a go next time. How did you go today? We're out tomorrow, hopefully you've left enough squid around for us :)

You need to try it.. love it!

Cheers

Trung

Edited by dhype

Trung, thats a great article. ive actually read it a while ago and it has totally convinced me that all fish need to be bled and taken care of for best quality. i am interested to see if the spike thru the spine makes a noticable difference. we should go out and test out this theory out oneday qnd post a report

Dang

Hi Trung,

I took the Japanese chef from Masa restaurant (at Tom Ugly's bridge, Sylvania) fishing about 18 months ago and he showed me the technique with how to prepare sashimi squid. He rubbed salt over the tentacles and then washed it off. He repeated this procedure 3 times (he also did the same with the "wings" and the tube of the squid). I found the best(tastiest) part was the wings, the tentacles came second. Try squid sashimied this way with wasabi and soy, yummm :thumbup: .

BTW, Trung where did you get the ike jime spike from?

Regards Kit

Trung, thats a great article. ive actually read it a while ago and it has totally convinced me that all fish need to be bled and taken care of for best quality. i am interested to see if the spike thru the spine makes a noticable difference. we should go out and test out this theory out oneday qnd post a report

Dang

Hey Dangas

I have never tried the spine spike but reading the article they report a difference in the quality... i realy should try it.

My main problem with this whole ike jime thing is that when I catch a fish i get so excited about throwing the lure back into the water I get side-tracked and forget about the just caught fish!

Trung do you find the Squid shy after heavy rain or dirty water.

Thanks in advance

Hi Groper

Much harder work to get the squid after a big flush... with heavey rain you get silted/dirty water and i find this will drive the squid away from the inshore shallow weed beds I fish in. You will have to fish deeper and used scented jigs during this period to get them...

Hi Trung,

I took the Japanese chef from Masa restaurant (at Tom Ugly's bridge, Sylvania) fishing about 18 months ago and he showed me the technique with how to prepare sashimi squid. He rubbed salt over the tentacles and then washed it off. He repeated this procedure 3 times (he also did the same with the "wings" and the tube of the squid). I found the best(tastiest) part was the wings, the tentacles came second. Try squid sashimied this way with wasabi and soy, yummm :thumbup: .

BTW, Trung where did you get the ike jime spike from?

Regards Kit

HI cruisecraft

Sounds like an interesting method to prepare sashimi squid... was rock salt used or the finer table salt?

The squid ike jime I have now is made by Yamashita...the broad flat edge of this spike makes it easier to dispatch the squid + it has a squid jig spike straightener...they cost about $15 from most retailers that stock yamashita squid jigs. Great buy I say.

Cheers

Trung

post-10545-056581500 1335181581_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhype

HI cruisecraft

Sounds like an interesting method to prepare sashimi squid... was rock salt used or the finer table salt?

The squid ike jime I have now is made by Yamashita...the broad flat edge of this spike makes it easier to dispatch the squid + it has a squid jig spike straightener...they cost about $15 from most retailers that stock yamashita squid jigs. Great buy I say.

Cheers

Trung

post-10545-056581500 1335181581_thumb.jpg

Hi Trung,

Thanks for the info re ike jime. Use table salt n rub the squid parts hard(after separating head, wings and tube) to get the slimy feel away. Wash n repeat process 3X.

Regards Kit