having trouble using poppers

Hey guys i currently own a dohhh 35 mm popper lure, as of now the problem i have is that it is not popping well enough. It is either not producing a splash or skipping across the water. My gear is a 7 foot 1-3kg berkley dropshot rod with a mojiko dynamite 1000 reel with 4lb braid and a long 5lb leader. Please any advice guys on making it pop better. I do kind of have a feeling its a problem with either the length of my rod or the type of popper.....

Thanks guys,

Billy

Thanks for reply. I have tried that before but i would still not get very consistent blooping, and its causing me to have a feeling that my rod might be to flexible/long. What do you reckon. I might be buying another popper to see if it makes a difference.

cheers, billy

Thanks for reply. I have tried that before but i would still not get very consistent blooping, and its causing me to have a feeling that my rod might be to flexible/long. What do you reckon. I might be buying another popper to see if it makes a difference.

cheers, billy

Cant say i am familiar with the Dohhh popper you mention, try perhaps a River2sea bubble pop. They are cheap enough and effective.

Cheers Blood Knot

i mainly pop off the rocks using a 50gram jet popper, 12ft rod, 20lb line. i find i have to do the drab up tight or it pulls line.

i know what u mean when the popper skipps across the top - its frustrating. its really all in the technique. takes practice.

keep your rod tip low, dont pump too hard or fast. even try a very fast wind (without pumping the rod) then stop, repeat.

Rods fine leader you dont need it to be long 2 to 4ft is fine for whiting bream and flatties.

But use mono fluoro leader will sink the popper especially at that 35mm size. The other thing is tie a loop knot to the lure.And if it has a ring contected to the lure remove it.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Rich P

Rods fine leader you dont need it to be long 2 to 4ft is fine for whiting bream and flatties.

But use mono fluoro leader will sink the popper especially at that 35mm size. The other thing is tie a loop knot to the lure.And if it has a ring contected to the lure remove it.

Cheers

Rich

Only cause ya worked out how to tie the loop knot recently! lol

Thank you alot guys for the help. Is it true that a heavier Mono is a better choice then a lighter one when popping. If so, how heavy should i go??

I use 6-12 pound, even to pop for whiting on small lures.

It just gives the light lure alot more floatation & doesn't seem to put the fish off.

Cheers,

Grant.