Fish handling techniques

rockfisherman

Hi Raiders

I just wanted to take this opportunity to raise awareness about fish handling and hook removal.

If a fish has considerable weight, apart from using lip grips, we should also support Its weight with our other hand, if the fish is being returned to the water with an injury there's the possibility it might not be able to feed its self and die.

Another point I'd like to raise, is handling fish from their gills, a fishes gills are very sensetive to damage and bacteria, before you decide to jam your fingers in its gills, think about it.

Last but not least is hook removal... When I bring a fish in And I know just by looking at it that it will take more time and energy to remove the hook and there is a possibility the fish will get injured or die.... I snip it off and tie another hook on, most of the time you'll need to do that anyway because your leader is damaged from rubbing on its teeth, so think twice before you decide to engage in major surgery to remove a hook worth 30 cents.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Fishingphase.

Edited by fishingphase

Yet there's some shows on tv that don't mind grabbing a jewie (that they intend to release) by the gills, swinging it around etc etc. Or are too busy talking about the fish to think about the fact that it needs to breathe.

If you are able to, sometimes you can release a fish while it is still in the water, if it is hooked in the mouth. Have done that with smaller jewies, plus others. (really only for experienced anglers)

I use an Environet, made of fine meshed plastic, to lift out my fish if they are a bit heavy for the line, or if the fish are small, you can grab them by hand if releasing (not a good idea at night time or in murky water). It is possible to grab a flathead under the head (not a big one) but it takes experience to do this.

As for the fish grips, I don't use them. I would not like someone sticking a metal pincer into my mouth to lift me up, and I'm sure the fish would not be too happy having a big critter (fisherman :biggrin2: ) sticking something into their mouths.

Yowie.

With all the average size fish, I usually have a wet rag on me which I grab the fish with. I am not sure how correct that is but I always felt that the fish is much more relaxed being handled with a wet rag.

Could someone comment on this? Is this considered better than just using my hands?

If you are able to, sometimes you can release a fish while it is still in the water, if it is hooked in the mouth. Have done that with smaller jewies, plus others. (really only for experienced anglers)

I use an Environet, made of fine meshed plastic, to lift out my fish if they are a bit heavy for the line, or if the fish are small, you can grab them by hand if releasing (not a good idea at night time or in murky water). It is possible to grab a flathead under the head (not a big one) but it takes experience to do this.

As for the fish grips, I don't use them. I would not like someone sticking a metal pincer into my mouth to lift me up, and I'm sure the fish would not be too happy having a big critter (fisherman :biggrin2: ) sticking something into their mouths.

Yowie.

Say, like, a sharp hook?

I would think that wet hands would be preferable over a wet rag. The rag will tend to rub off more of their protective slime coating leaving them more vulnerable. A wet rag over the eyes will settle larger fish, as will turning them on their backs, but still think that wet hands are best.

With all the average size fish, I usually have a wet rag on me which I grab the fish with. I am not sure how correct that is but I always felt that the fish is much more relaxed being handled with a wet rag.

Could someone comment on this? Is this considered better than just using my hands?

A wet hand would be better in my opinion. Some fish have a protective slime and if you are going to let them go it needs to be preserved. Also, most gills are one way. I feel like screaming at Worstling when he pushes fish back and forward roughly 'swimming' them. F'ing idiot!

I also think its really cruel to just stick fish in a bucket or box to suffocate slowly. In an ideal world it should be a quick death, put in an ice slurry to induce a coma or released quickly.

Someone in Fisheries should take some initiate and make some tv ads and YouTube clips about fish handling and killing. I always used to grap fish by the gills 10 years ago coz that's what my old man did. Even grab some by the eyes!!! Tv shows are doing a good job, but it isn't their job to educate.

Edited by Swaz

Say, like, a sharp hook?

I assume you mean there is already a sharp hook in the fish's gob.

I have seen some of these fishing show presenters swinging a fish around on the end of fish grips, dropping the fish onto the hot dry floor of the boat, holding the fish out of water while they 'congratulate' each other, etc. No need to stick more metal into their mouths (the fish I mean)

Wet hands are better than a rag, but some fish wriggle about and will lose a few scales no matter what you do.

I assume you mean there is already a sharp hook in the fish's gob.

I have seen some of these fishing show presenters swinging a fish around on the end of fish grips, dropping the fish onto the hot dry floor of the boat, holding the fish out of water while they 'congratulate' each other, etc. No need to stick more metal into their mouths (the fish I mean)

Wet hands are better than a rag, but some fish wriggle about and will lose a few scales no matter what you do.

Yes, very true!

That is exactly what I'm talking about, we need to educate people

i was telling my wife about the guy on the wharf next to me when i was catching livies, who offered me an u/s whiting to go with my yakkas, and how i explained to him the differences between keeping small "baitfish" and not keeping young fish with legal size limits...

and she asked the most obvious question I nearly fell over:

"why dont you have to pass a knowledge test before you get your fishing licence, you know, like for your car or boat licence?"

um, errr, um, well i dunno!!!

maybe because it might discourage people from buying licences?

i was telling my wife about the guy on the wharf next to me when i was catching livies, who offered me an u/s whiting to go with my yakkas, and how i explained to him the differences between keeping small "baitfish" and not keeping young fish with legal size limits...

and she asked the most obvious question I nearly fell over:

"why dont you have to pass a knowledge test before you get your fishing licence, you know, like for your car or boat licence?"

um, errr, um, well i dunno!!!

maybe because it might discourage people from buying licences?

I wouldn't say a knowledge test, but a booklet with important facts printed in all languages.... Something practical

I wouldn't say a knowledge test, but a booklet with important facts printed in all languages.... Something practical

you get a simple 'legal sizes' pamphlet with your licence, but most would discard it without a second throught?

and for NESB, the only multi-lingual DPI publication seems to be this one:

"Fishing from Sydney Harbour Commuter Wharves (in Chinese, Italian, Greek, Vietnamese, Korean and Arabic)"

which i guess is a quite important practical issue...

Great information guys. Common sense should prevail with also a little education from other fisho's people should start to catch on. I also disagree with the above mentioned persons technique that pushes the fish forward and backwards to revive the fish. I think the current should be sufficient. But then I'm not a marine biologist. I think handling fish with wet hands would be less sensitive and detrimental for the fish.

Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers

Hi. As I am fairly new to fishing (properly atleast), this thread has got me thinking. When you catch a undersized fish and it has completely gulped the hook and it is almost impossibly to remove, what is the correct protocol?

Do I just leave the hook jammed down it's mouth and throw it back? Will the hook eventually rust out, or does the fish typically die?

What is the typical thing to do in this situation?

Thanks.

Hi. As I am fairly new to fishing (properly atleast), this thread has got me thinking. When you catch a undersized fish and it has completely gulped the hook and it is almost impossibly to remove, what is the correct protocol?

Do I just leave the hook jammed down it's mouth and throw it back? Will the hook eventually rust out, or does the fish typically die?

What is the typical thing to do in this situation?

Thanks.

as i posted above, this Recreational Saltwater Fishing Guide has HEAPS of info for you:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/publications/fishing-guides2/guide

pages 20-30 tells you all about how to handle fish :)

you should download it for ready reference...