Running outboard out of fuel

mako2000

After an aborted trip today where the needle and seat in the carburettor stuck open after the trusty 18hp tohatsu had been sitting for a month I ask this question of fellow Fishraiders......Should you run the engine out of fuel as I normally do while flushing the motor every outing or leave the carby full?

I can see benefits and now problems with both sides but hope someone can come up with a definitive answer!!

An alternative is to run the motor with a fuel preserver in the fuel. There is no need to run dry then as the preserver will stop any gums or varnish forming in the carby.

what preserver do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This topic should be called...

The never ending story.

Ahhhhahhhhahhhh......

As previously stated you will hear both sides of the argument which are valid, but my observations of the responses tell me it's better to run it dry.... So I came up with my own solution which I'll post as a topic.

Fishingphase

This topic should be called...

The never ending story.

Ahhhhahhhhahhhh......

As previously stated you will hear both sides of the argument which are valid, but my observations of the responses tell me it's better to run it dry.... So I came up with my own solution which I'll post as a topic.

Fishingphase

Definately never ending story haha

Why not talk directly with the company making the engine/motor and be guided by what they say. Ask reasons for their recommendation. Ask if it matters what petrol or oil etc they use or any other queries you have.

OR

Ask a licenced service mechanic thats approved to service the engine.

Starting problems could be the result of stale petrol that has lost its kick. These days petrol has a life span of no more than four weeks.

Carry a can of Start u Bastard it is amazing what it will do. But you must know where to spray it.

I have always run the motor out of fuel for any of the premix outboards that i have owned.

But any or the 2 stroke - oil injected or 4 strokes have just flushed and left the hose connected. The outboard that I have at the moment has a permently connected fuel line.

I always use the higher grade 98 octane fuel as well.

It's much cleaner fuel and it has been proven.

Proven by who ? do you have links ?

cleaner? as in cleaner burning ? they add additives of a higher volatility to get 98 if you leave your boat sitting for 2 weeks between uses your just back to reg 95

the reason i ask as imo its just a waste of money where reg 95 does a ok job ( i cant talk about new engines like etecs etc maybe huey can offer some advice)

your engine will only perform on the fuel its been built for and extra octane does nothing for a engine not designed for it

the main benefit people see in cars is from using it in poorly serviced engines where all the additives come into play

i ran bp ultimate in my kart engines which we ran to 17k rpm sometimes 20k rpm and had issues with the detergents they use causing the castor to not stick to the cyclinder wall

we ended up running 15:1 instead of 16:1to counter it

other 98 mixes didnt have this issue and in the end it was only a little extra oil, but it sure did cost a few pistons before we got it sorted

Hi, guys i have purposely stayed out of this debate becuase everyone is going to have an opinion. From what I know, I run out of fuel all carby engines, excpet VRO(or more correctly classifed OMS) OMC/BRP engines because with these engines the oi and fuel pump are in one and as the engine is running out of fuel the OMS is still pumping oil and the carbies will be full of a very oil rich mixture-which is good for any long term storage but makes them very hard to start the next time. Any pre-mix engine I disconnect the fuel and run dry-I have seen way more problems with bad fuel in carbies than any damage caused by running dry-fact. The brand we prefer have a sealed fuel system and I have seen with my eyes E-TEC start and run fine after years sitting dormant-yes the fuel in the tank will need to be replaced but the fuel in the engine does not have contact with air and that is just part of the reason they are the cleanest engines around.

As for the high octane fuel debate-I am far from an expert on fuels, but what I know is only the most advanced outboard engines have knock sensors that can do something about a bad does of fuel and again the brand we prefer have this on the larger engines. From what I have been told by fuel guys buying the high octane fuel the chances of getting a bad dose of fuel are reduced due to the way this fuel is shipped more than anythting-it does not go to a storage area-it goes from the refineray to the fuel station. The facts are for the average boater with the 10-15 year old engine you will not seen any performance gain running say the 98 fuel. On our race boat, which runs a very advanced 250HP "HO" E-TEC we run 98 octane because the engine ctake advantage of this fuel.

Cheers,

Huey.