Tailor/Salmon/Bonito- Favourite lure?

rjc123

Hi raiders,

looking to build up my lure arsenal a bit. Just wondering what people use for tailor/salmon/bonito for trolling in the sydney area. Colours would be great too!\

Cheers, Tom

No.1 choice - Pink squid skirts.

post-4381-027860800 1336226179_thumb.jpg

I use 10-12cm skirts for salmon, bonito and tailor and 12-15cm for kings.

It's just about all that I use now. They catch almost anything.

No. 2 choice - hardbodies like this in grey or dark blue (pilchard colours) about 12cm long

post-4381-079382900 1336226400_thumb.jpg

This old lure is almost transparent, but the tailor still go for it.

Cheers

Peter

My mate has the pink skirt and seems to work well - apparently a cheapie from+_+_) with a good hook put on, however I out fished him for bonnies with my new lively lures Mack bait, caught a 50m tailor trolling last weeked with it too, so been pretty productive ! Hard to find tho...

Thanks for the replies, will have a look at them. I'm getting a kayak (Hobie Pro Angler) and i will hopefully do most of my trolling out of it. Would the skirt be kay for being trolled at kayak speed?

Cheers, Tom

I would imagine it would be fine out of a kayak.

I am only saying this because I have a similar setup that I cast/retrieve land based to catch Bonito successfuly, now the speeds that I retrieve at I would imagine are similar if not slower to that of a kayak.

With the pink squid skirt, the following thread got me onto it:

Cheap Trolling Lures + Techniques

Hope that helps.

Guest Aussie007

hooked 3 bonito the other day on the largest rapala xrap in bonito colour my other lures i like using are pink or orange in a smaller size these colours always produce fish

I like either halco lazer pro in the gold with red head or the 120 xraps in mackeral or bonito colours but the one that has caught most for me is a small kokoda shallow running white/see thru color. I did mean to give Peter S's pink skirts a good go this year but never got around to it. Great sport on light tackle...

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any pilchard looking hardbody, you get what you pay for. Cheaper lures will work for a bit, but start swimming weird later, also the hooks won't withstand the test of time with corrosion or the test of a big fish, even a decent king.

Keep it simple, otherwise you'll end up with a box of 15-20 lures but only use 2-3... Also get a deep diver as well as a small bibbed minnow.

Fishingphase

Edited by fishingphase

Guest Aussie007

Any pilchard looking hardbody, you get what you pay for. Cheaper lures will work for a bit, but start swimming weird later, also the hooks won't withstand the test of time with corrosion or the test of a big fish, even a decent king.

Keep it simple, otherwise you'll end up with a box of 15-20 lures but only use 2-3... Also get some a deep diver as well as a small bibbed minnow.

Fishingphase

yeah your right all my rapalas dont swim after 10 bonitos chewing on them rapala has instructions on the site to tweak the lure to swim again ive never has success