Jibbon Headland

f1shen

Checked the BOM this morning and knew it was time for payback. Last time I took the tinny out to Jibbon Headland, I got on to some nice salmon which busted me off at the boat (forgot the net!).

Went out at 6 with my secret weapon (the net), and my rod with 20lb main line, down to a 20lb fluro trace with two snelled hooks, just right for a pilchard. Took my lighter 6lb rod for some bottom bashing too.

Beautiful conditions out with very little swell and a fresh breeze. Wasn't long before I was hooked up on something big - on my bottom bashing line. After a helluva fight, reeled in a nice salmon which I managed to get in the boat this time, using the net!.

My heavy line went next, and was treated to a few jumps out of the water. A really nice fight, which put my el-cheapo online shop special rod to the test (note to self - buy proper gear!). Another nice salmon.

Hooked up again - on my bottom bashing line. Another salmon - I let him go, the two I already had were more than enough!

Got on to some little reds and a small trevally too which went back, as well as a keeper tailor.

The catch (got a little overzealous with cleaning before I remembered to take a pic):

post-21778-073293100 1336525988_thumb.jpg

Need to get a brag board, the knife for reference is 35 cm.

Nice catch mate!!!

Just out of curiosity do you eat the salmon or use for bait?? I only ask as there is so much bad press about the taste of Salmon and I am yet to catch my first one. Hopefully this weekend.

Cheers :beersmile:

Nice catch mate!!!

Just out of curiosity do you eat the salmon or use for bait?? I only ask as there is so much bad press about the taste of Salmon and I am yet to catch my first one. Hopefully this weekend.

Cheers :beersmile:

Both are being eaten. One is being turned into fish cakes, using strong flavours to mask the strong 'fishy' taste.

The other is going over a wood fired BBQ after a quick asian marinade.

I don't mind the strong taste, but apparently everyone else in the house does!