Soft Plastics WTF

moppo

What is the go with these soft plastics { Gulp }. I have been trying to fish with these for three months and nothing, today however i used a baby prawn, bingo a good size Flounder. I also use 3 in poggy, shaky shad punk prawn 4 in minnow ripple shad and others but WTF i can not get them to swim upright they all swim upside down doesnt look to real, I mostly use 1/16 nitro jig heads. All my mates around me a catching Bream Flathead etc on frozen bait. I have given it a good go but just about over it & ready to go back to real bait. CAN ANY ONE HELP?

use 6lb fluoro carbon, 3-4lb powerpro braid, 7foot 2-4kg graphite rod.

hopefully your on a kayak or a boat...

if you are land your just not casting far enough

use heavier jighead, i find 1/16 is just too light to cast far enough, lightest i go is 1/12 and thats when theres no wind. i like my 1/8's in 3-5m of water.

1/16 i use dead sticking because they are so light its like bait as i drift on my kayak and use blades in my hand.

if u want to use 1/16 just put on 2.5inch sandworms, camo colour and deadstick it or wiggle it slightly.

stick with 2.5inch banana prawn. (small lifts/rips with big waits in between)

pumpkin seed 4inch turtle back worm (work like minnow, lift lift drop)

2.5inch camo sandworm (dead stick)

Can't go past a squidgy 100mm Bloodworm Wriggler for flatties. For Bream, either a smaller 80mm bloodworm wriggler or 3" gulp minnow in pumpkinseed. As previously mentioned, it sounds as if you arent feeding the hook on properly. Take the time to get it right and it will swim a whole lot better!

Edited by mack attack 79

Best thing is to try and find someone who can show you the techniques for soft plastics. You may not be rigging them quite right too which is why they're not swimming properly.

Soft plastics are great, but not the be all and end all. Sometimes they'll out fish bait, other times they won't. I like them because you're more active using them and the lures last and don't need to be fresh, unlike bait.

If you can't find someone to teach you, there's some pretty good youtube videos on the topic. If you search for the uploader bcfaustralia, they have a few good vids, including how to rig them and how to use them.

Otherwise, my only advice apart from what you're already heard here is to keep trying new combinations of lures and jig heads (though it starts to get expensive!). I've had a lot of luck drifting and using 2-3 inch gulp grubs (nuclear chicken, I think?? The olive coloured ones with sparkles) catching flatties. Had some luck on 3inch watermelon minnows, too. Also bought some squidgies to try, still looking for the perfect lure, though I think it's only possible to find the perfect lure for that particular fishing trip!

From what I know, the advice so far is on the money.

I'd also suggest after putting on your SP, just swim it or look at the action you can impart to it at your feet, or boatside.

If it looks like a lump of plastic flapping around to you, it will to Mr Fish too most likely.

Re-rig it if you have to.

Minnows and wrigglers and the like are great for beginners especially as the tail movement may enhance any action you're able to impart through the rod... they're a bit more forgiving on that front... unfortunately, the tails are particularly susceptible to toadies, tailor & other pickers.

Can't beat the advice of getting your plastic to where the fish are though. That's THE most important aspect of any fishing.

Failing all that, use bait occasionally to keep it fun & keep your confidence up if you find your bite/hook up rate better.. no shame in it... then use the experience and knowledge gained in doing that on your lure fishing.

Good luck with it!

KISS theory mate.

Start by trying to catch flathead as they are the easiest species to catch on plastics.

Find some sandflats go down around low tide and walk along the edge of the drop offs flicking out the plastic and working it back in. 1/16th is fine but to make sure its hopping on the bottom fish the retrieve slowly. Basic retrieve is two hops with the rod tip then pause for the plastic to sink to the bottom again then repeat all the way in. Walk the edges and cover lots of territory. If you cant catch flatties this way take up ping pong. Brand of plastic and scent and colour is far less important than retrieve and fishing the right areas around tides.