One long day

Having had my camping trip postponed this weekend I was itching to get out so decided to drive up to Carlons Farm (Blueies) and check out lower Jenolan Creek (accessed via Carlons and Breakfast cks), something I've been meaning to do for a couple of years. I'd heard that there maaaaay be the chance of some early spawners so that was a big incentive.

Long story short - not a spawning fish to be seen (in the Cox's or Jenolan).

Long story a little less short - Took off from the car park at 7:30am (having left Sydney at 5:30am). The instructions I had were pretty good and I easily found the trail and began jogging in so I had more time to fish. This was good for all of 1km. The next 7-8km to the Cox's were abit dangerous to run due to slippery and uneven ground. Not much to comment on re: the walk in, apart from some nice red tailed black cockatoos, afew little rainbows in Breakfast ck and a thousand creek crossings which were tedius... my poor ankles were tired by the bottom. Breakfast creek had a decent flow of water and so quite different to photos I'd seen of it before. Hit the Cox's in just under 2 hours, which left me with 4 hours to fish to be safe on light getting back. I made my way up the Cox's but it was fairly quiet. Caught maybe 3-4 little rainbows before the Jenolan junction. Jenolan was quieter again but I did manage a nice little brown which was beautifully coloured for its size. On the way back i hooked a much better rainbow wich I had pegged for about 45-48cm but it threw the hook before I got a good look it. I got back to Breakfast ck with 4 hours of daylight left. Was not looking forward to the walk but felt fine. Unfortuntely a slightly sore hip turned into a sore knee which turned into a very tight inner thigh and a very buckled me. The last few km really really sucked and as I write this I cant walk down even a step without support! I'll be right in the morning but spent right now.

Conclusion - Next time camp.

post-9233-018325300 1338117547_thumb.jpg

post-9233-016759500 1338117561_thumb.jpg

post-9233-053897000 1338117580_thumb.jpg

Beautiful images Kyuss, and can channel your aches!

Love the colours on that brown.

Several months ago was trying to research the origins of Blue Mountains and Central Tablelands trout and read, if I remember right, that the rainbows of Jenolan Caves area are the most "pure" Californian steelheads originally brought here. Can't remember why, and a bit hazy what that meant, something to do with the old hatchery? will have to find the science paper again.

Same creek?

Beautiful images Kyuss, and can channel your aches!

Love the colours on that brown.

Several months ago was trying to research the origins of Blue Mountains and Central Tablelands trout and read, if I remember right, that the rainbows of Jenolan Caves area are the most "pure" Californian steelheads originally brought here. Can't remember why, and a bit hazy what that meant, something to do with the old hatchery? will have to find the science paper again.

Same creek?

If you can get your hands on a copy of John Hedges book Trout fishing in NSW it mentions the Jenolan Hatchery as being the oldest in NSW established t opromote tourism atthe Caves nad bring fisherman to the area as do other websites. Being the purest I cannot comment as you would have to look at the stockings done subsequently and where the stock was sourced I will reference the said book as I have a copy mind you it is 2nd ed 1963!

Kyuss lovely work there my man!

Kyuss,

Never the less you still had a good day.

I have done that trip several times in the day and I know how tough it is.

These days I go in from the Black Range but after a sufficient fall of rain.

They are fickle on what they will run up on

You can check the BOM site for Kelpie point.

I'll wait for another fall and let you know the outcome.

The brown is lovely.

Thanks for the info,

Geoff

I know exactly how you feel.

I have been into Mumbardar junction from Black Range. I was the same, could not walk on steps for a week.

We got very little on that occasion as well.

It still is worth it.

Geoff

yep, i like the long version better! thanks :)

did you see any other people? or was it just you and the beautiful scenery?

There were two groups of campers on the Cox (both packing up when I got in at 9:30). I didnt see anyone else as I fished upstream. I reckon there would normally be a couple of fisherman about most weekends but plenty of river to share (downstream / upstream and Jenolan... lots of options).

Love the report Kyuss, I was thinking about doing the same trip over a day but think an overnighter would be better after your report. Was the track easy to follow down to the cox's? The rivers look like there in good condition and that was a nice brown out of the Jenolan, how far up the Jenolan did you fish.

Hopefully the rainbows will run this season.

Cheers, Dean

Awesome report we have been further up the coxs a few times in the last 6 weeks and got 30 fish in 2 trips and lost about the same amount,there is some good fish after the good flood that went through in march going up again soon will post some photos and a report, just joined this site last week and have not stopped reading the stories can't believe how good it is

Awesome report we have been further up the coxs a few times in the last 6 weeks and got 30 fish in 2 trips and lost about the same amount,there is some good fish after the good flood that went through in march going up again soon will post some photos and a report, just joined this site last week and have not stopped reading the stories can't believe how good it is

:1welcomeani: and glad you are enjoying our site so far. Look forward to your reports :thumbup:

Love the report Kyuss, I was thinking about doing the same trip over a day but think an overnighter would be better after your report. Was the track easy to follow down to the cox's? The rivers look like there in good condition and that was a nice brown out of the Jenolan, how far up the Jenolan did you fish.

Hopefully the rainbows will run this season.

Cheers, Dean

Hey Dean,

Yeh easy enough. It's not much of a track but there are no junctions. Once you hit Breakfast creek you can't go wrong as the track pretty much follows this the rest of the way apart from a couple of shortcuts over little ridges to cut out a bend or two of the creek. If you cant find good track notes on the net PM me and ill send through some notes.

Jenolan - I only fished up 1km or so, nice area.

Good Luck.