Port Hacking Kingy

onearmedfisho

Hey Raiders, went out on the Port Hacking yesterday in pretty average conditions. Blowing a decent sou-westerly and it was difficult to get out of the wind. Spent a bit of time looking for squid but only managed a little tucker. Got a few good sized yakkas for back up.

Went to my 1st kingy spot, dropped down the squid on a 2 hook rig using 30LB braid and 30LB leader. First pass nothing, second nothing, 3rd nothing! By this time the squid was dead but still worthy for a king. Went to my next location and 1st pass nothing. Turned around and all of a sudden my Tekoda starts screaming! Powered out into cleaner water and the fight began. He fought very very well for its size and i thought i may have had a new PB. He was taking a fair bit of line then i'd manage to get some back before he took off again. This happened 5 or 6 times over about 10 minutes and then i saw colour. Put the rod down (only got 1 arm dont forget) to grab the leader and pulled him in the boat. Measured on the tape measure (no brag mat on board) and came in at 77cm. Tried with the yakkas but they werent interested. Not the best pic but better than nothing!!! :thumbup:

post-12947-035964200 1338177716_thumb.jpg

Edited by one armed fisho

solid fish mate.... I was out yesterday (Sunday) afternoon as well and was struggling to get my bait past the little tailor that were everywhere. Got into a couple of large salmon that were fun but that was about it.

Water was bloody cold (16 degrees) so it is having an effect on the system.

Were you fishing at the bottom of the estuary?

I was out on Saturday in huge winds (35 knot gusts) in my little tinnie with a mate. Not much luck, since we could neither get good bait nor park the boat in any good spots. The best we got was one each of this crazy beastie, which I later id'ed as an eastern smooth boxfish (and poisonous).

When the wind dropped later in the day, we tried drifting the main channel on the last of the run-out tide with our one lone yakka under a float and prawns down deep - well, for not a single bite!

I think the drop in temp had all the fish out of the upper parts of the estuary, down to the warmer ocean end.

post-8116-010771600 1338204390_thumb.jpg

OAF,

Heard alot about you. Billy is a good mate of mine. Good kingy mate.

Any time you want to go out let me know. Trying to unlock the snapper jigsaw over the next little while.

Johno

Hey Johno, thanks mate. Yeah, heard a bit about you also. Hopefully not the last king of the season! Keen to try for snapper though... :thumbup: