DIY Dual Live Bait Tanks

adammkelly

Don't know if many people have done it - but building your own quality live bait system can be a bit daunting.

The added challenge is matching all of the different parts and shop stock. Using Bias and Witworths mainly I found it's pretty difficult to try and match it all up (only can fit / check match in the shop and sometimes you need to use non preferred items / sizes) and compensate for your own's boat size and layout

Though I'd share a few of my photos

It's got

Big Spare Battery (for all accessories) - trickled charged during the week.

1000 gph bilge pump

Primary Value

1 * T Splitter (wanted Y shape but no stock in size)

1.5inch Tubing

4* Inlet / Outlets

Bracket with scoop

Didn't want such a strong pump but it fitted the scope available perfectly

Attached V1 and V2

The setup works extremely well

post-20840-070629300 1338289968_thumb.jpg

post-20840-097639100 1338290366_thumb.jpg

Using Bias and Whitworths mainly I found it's pretty difficult to try and match it all up.

I've found that Bunnings have a huge range of the fittings at a fraction of the price of marine dealers.

Then only purchase the speciality items from marine shops

Geoff

Using Bias and Whitworths mainly I found it's pretty difficult to try and match it all up.

I've found that Bunnings have a huge range of the fittings at a fraction of the price of marine dealers.

Then only purchase the speciality items from marine shops

Geoff

Thanks for the TIPS! and feedback - your right about marine shops - bloody $12 just for an inlet / outlet fitting. Tried to get buckets from Bunnings but no good sizes and didn't think to check the irrigation section for fittings

Probably all up about $300 bucks to build - with some spent on failed - 1st version setup.

I'll try an upload a youtube. The back tank when running - is like a spa. A yakka even made it all the way home - and was swimming round the boat while we were washing it done.

If you have a reasonable size boat - ditch the battery aerators - and get yourself a blidge pump! Valves are highly recommended - I can still only run my pump at half with current outlets - but works an absolute charm.!

Uploaded a youtube

....... - just in case the below doesnt work

much better when parked and have made improvements for last weekend.

Bank tank is like a spa (good for squid) + many liveys - front great for keeper tank and yakkas - happily kept about 25 travs - last weekend all day.

No big drain

Budget spit

Battery $150

Pump + Scoop $75

Outlets + tubing - $75-100 - probably underestimated build a little bit

Edited by Adso

Just wondering is the primary valve a 1 way valve also? (wouldn't the water siphon back out when the pump is turned off?)

Yes - it does! - would like some feedback / suggestions. Have found with the scoop - I can happily leave the pump running + get good flow. When moving I do need to close the valve to half - when settled happily runs at 3/4.

Did have a learning experience on Saturday - didn't use tie downs (the bilge pump) on the filter / base - has only some push down clips to the strain / filter cover screwed to the scoop. My burley bomb (homemade) - was left down and pulled against my inflow tubes - and broke my positive power cable - so time for V3!

I do carry a few corks (good suggestion for all boat kits) - was thinking worst case when I want to swtich the pumps - to cork the bottoms.

Any ideas?

Yes - it does! - would like some feedback / suggestions. Have found with the scoop - I can happily leave the pump running + get good flow. When moving I do need to close the valve to half - when settled happily runs at 3/4.

Did have a learning experience on Saturday - didn't use tie downs (the bilge pump) on the filter / base - has only some push down clips to the strain / filter cover screwed to the scoop. My burley bomb (homemade) - was left down and pulled against my inflow tubes - and broke my positive power cable - so time for V3!

I do carry a few corks (good suggestion for all boat kits) - was thinking worst case when I want to swtich the pumps - to cork the bottoms.

Any ideas?

Also further too -have been thinking of adding a second valve - and having valve on both inlets - allowing me - to use 1 or 2 - and also resolve the drain out issue.

Have no valve to the T junction then 2 valves to each tank!