Harbour Hairtail

sadamson

Last night i had the pleasure of spending most of the night with Tide n Knots (Pete)on the harbour.Of late Pete has been on fire with the jewies. He invited me to join him to target Jewies.We traveled to Petes secret spot and set up our rods. Very slow couple of small bites we got a couple of small jewies and a nice size Tailor.Then in the wee hours one of my rods loaded up and on que the old overhead reel i was using failed could not get any pressure on the drag,managed to get line back in we were looking over the side to see what was coming up,then this prehistoric creature from the deep came to the surface.Pete expertly netted the beast then he grabbed it around its neck.I told him not to point that thing at me, check out the dentures.It was knocked on the head it measured 1.62 metres just short of the fish raider record of 1.7 metres.Had a great night we finished with 3 Jewies,1 tailor and a cracker of a hairtail.Bring on the Hairtail social i am now ready.Got to bed at 4.30am

I would like to put the Hairtail up for the COTM comp

post-6862-026142200 1338512901_thumb.jpg

post-6862-063345800 1338512917_thumb.jpg

post-6862-078613600 1338512933_thumb.jpg

post-6862-044257300 1338512944_thumb.jpg

post-6862-018668700 1338512957_thumb.jpg

post-6862-072688700 1338512967_thumb.jpg

post-6862-087441500 1338512984_thumb.jpg

Many thanks again Pete had a great time.

anytime steve, I had a great night. its a shame the jew weren't a little more co-operative but the hairtail certainly helped make up for it.

congratulations on landing the beast!!!it looked like something out of the movie alien.

p.s I know we got home late and your exited about your near record hairtail but what happened to the photos of the jew and tailor???? :074:

pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots

Well done. :)

How many others catch Hairtail in the Harbour ? Its really strange why they are so prevelant in the Hawksbury let seem rare a stones throw south of there. In all the hours jew fishing in Syd ive never struck one .

Edited by GaryO

by the way Pete, that Hairtail may just explain why my leader was snapped off.

gday basil, I think that leader you were using was probably faulty as it snapped when you were tying the hook on, but you never know? there have been quite a few large tailor lately also so who knows.

pete

What a catch :1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

Excellant by-catch.Just never know what to expect when your goal was the mighty mulloway.

Peter you must have a stock of jewels from all those fish your catching. :1fishing1: Great work guys.

Chris.

gday chris - I dont bother collecting the jewels - too much hard work digging them out , usually in the dark when your tired after a long night.

pete

Very nice hairy, well done! No need to go to the hawkesbury for them. There's been a few of them caught in the main harbour and north harbour but that's the first I've heard about them in the parramatta river (I'm guessing that's where you were?). That's a special catch especially since you probably weren't even using gangs or wire.... Onya