Out to the beach again, came home with more tailors

wchh

Hi raiders,

Not sure this is something I should brag about or I should find a way to deal with my fishing addiction.

Due to the bad weather yesterday, it took me some efforts to convince the missus and went out 3:45 pm in drizzling rain. As it takes about one hour to get to the beach, you could imagine there were a few times of tossing the idea of doing a U-turn. At the end, for the sake of getting out there, addiction got the upper hand and I arrived at the beach at 4:30 pm.

It turn out the rain is not bad at all there and the tide is just right for fishing. Same as last Saturday, I was the only one fishing the beach, with only a couple of surfer's at distance and 2 or 3 having a walk alone or with their dogs

At start, there were only on-and-off nibbles but I was adamant the fish is out there. Persisted to past the high tide and finally got rewarded with 3 tailors and 1 salmon.

post-11759-092629800 1338688915_thumb.jpg

The largest tailor is 49 cm. I realized I haven't had a PB recorded for tailor, so this one will be the PB as a starting point.

post-11759-019091200 1338688948_thumb.jpg

This morning I had to go through the bit about fishing that I do not enjoy--- cleaning the fish.

I have to say I am not at all good at this. See below the mess I made when filleting the tailor.

(picture removed)

After spending nearly one hour, I finally cut some meat off the fish and I will try them for green curry.

post-11759-036482100 1338689100_thumb.jpg

I need some hints about how to make some use of the tailor heads if you don’t mind offering? I read a few notes about this could be used for Jew bait but I could not figure out how to present it? I kept those 3 heads in the freezer for now.

(picture removed)

Cheers,

Charles

Edited by ABCfisho

Ha HA

I was trying to get out but the Boss eh em I mean beloved wife put an end to that.

Nice fish.

I usually give salmon heads and tails to my dog to chew on and sometimes the meat. Apparently it is good for his coat and being a Labrador he tucks right into it.

Which beach did you go off?

I was planning to go to Stanwell park after a reasonably crappy session at port in the morning (didnt open the gates util 0800!!)

Bigger Tailor and Salmon Heads make great bait for sharks! Especially for Bronzies and Bulls off the beach. You can also use them as burley and dump them in the shorebreak. The head wiill be broken down slowly and create a lovely little burley trail :biggrin2:

with the fish heads, cut straight from the middle and split in half, put your fingers behind the eye balls and pop them out,

heat the pot little bit of oil, chuck the heads in add some carrot, salary, onion (chopped), sautee and add white wine, or sherry, or brandy, pour some water and boil, reduce heat let it simmer for half an hour, strain and use it for your green curry instead of the water, and its called fish stock,

some nice tailor around the beaches..

After spending nearly one hour, I finally cut some meat off the fish and I will try them for green curry.

i spent the arvo crushing up a fresh set of green curry pastes! goes great with bream & flatties, yet to try it with tailor...

I need some hints about how to make some use of the tailor heads if you don’t mind offering? I read a few notes about this could be used for Jew bait but I could not figure out how to present it? I kept those 3 heads in the freezer for now.

nah, in terms of jewfish bait - i think they're only useful when fresh off the fish...

Zaid has got it - make some proper stock! use the carcass too :)

for my asian stock i also chuck in a thumb of sliced galangal or ginger plus black peppercorns or Szechuan pepercorns and burn this slightly before the sautee... adds a dimension...

you can freeze stock for a few months too - ziplock bags work...

Bigger Tailor and Salmon Heads make great bait for sharks! Especially for Bronzies and Bulls off the beach. You can also use them as burley and dump them in the shorebreak. The head wiill be broken down slowly and create a lovely little burley trail :biggrin2:

Right, I did try this once and a bronze whaler tool it!

with the fish heads, cut straight from the middle and split in half, put your fingers behind the eye balls and pop them out,

heat the pot little bit of oil, chuck the heads in add some carrot, salary, onion (chopped), sautee and add white wine, or sherry, or brandy, pour some water and boil, reduce heat let it simmer for half an hour, strain and use it for your green curry instead of the water, and its called fish stock,

Thanks for the tips.

This is definately better than what I have been doing with them----most of the times they ended up in the bin if I did not bother to bury them under my jasmine trees.

I will give it a go with those three heads...

some nice tailor around the beaches..

i spent the arvo crushing up a fresh set of green curry pastes! goes great with bream & flatties, yet to try it with tailor...

nah, in terms of jewfish bait - i think they're only useful when fresh off the fish...

Zaid has got it - make some proper stock! use the carcass too :)

for my asian stock i also chuck in a thumb of sliced galangal or ginger plus black peppercorns or Szechuan pepercorns and burn this slightly before the sautee... adds a dimension...

you can freeze stock for a few months too - ziplock bags work...

Hi dave, I opted the easier alternative and bought the paste from woolies.

Nice tailor if u dont mind what beach were you fishing

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

I mainly fish from three beaches (Whale beach, New port beach and Mona Vale beach)depends on conditions. This was from Mona vale beach as I did not want to look around in the :1badmood: yesterday and so it happened.

As mack attack said. Pin the hook through the bottom jaw and out the top. As for filleting, practice makes perfect!

Filleting salmon is more a pain. I would not have taken the fish if it was not for it was gut hooked and I was using 40 pound wire leader for the tailors.

Edited by ABCfisho

Ha HA

I was trying to get out but the Boss eh em I mean beloved wife put an end to that.

Nice fish.

I usually give salmon heads and tails to my dog to chew on and sometimes the meat. Apparently it is good for his coat and being a Labrador he tucks right into it.

Which beach did you go off?

I was planning to go to Stanwell park after a reasonably crappy session at port in the morning (didnt open the gates util 0800!!)

I did use a few of the salmon heads and frames for food of potted plants. I don't know this did them any good though.

I fished from Mona vale beach yesterday.

Edited by ABCfisho

Hi dave, I opted the easier alternative and bought the paste from woolies.

ha ha - i'll have to admit i have a few different jars as spares or for a quick addition to a stirfry , but i really like fresh curry paste for the fish...

hope the kitchen is cranking out some good smells for you tonight :)

This is definately better than what I have been doing with them----most of the times they ended up in the bin if I did not bother to bury them under my jasmine trees.

Why take them home at all if you're just going to waste the fish and bury it?

Come on people, there's good evidence that if handled properly these fish survive after release. If you're not going to eat them, then let them go. (except carp of course!)

End rant!

Come on people, there's good evidence that if handled properly these fish survive after release. If you're not going to eat them, then let them go. (except carp of course!)

End rant!

Think he was just referring to the heads and frames, not the whole fish..

Some nice tailor there, good going!

Glad to hear they're still around on the northern beaches too, was just talking to my old man about that very topic this afternoon! Hopefully we'll get to have a crack at em this week.

Nice work with the fish mate well done.

How sharp is the knife you are using? I think you will find the sharper your knife is the easier it is to fillet. I've only got cheap knives but I sharpen them every time I fillet. I actually practiced on yakkas and now I've managed to get the knack of things and fillets come off nice and clean now, the good news is, the more fish you catch, the better you will get ;-)

End rant!

I released far more salmons than I took due to the fact that salmon is hard to avoid when fishing the beaches.

I do take those fish that were severely damaged, like the one deep hooked with two 3/0 suicide hooks and a wire leader. With those salmons I took home, meat were used for fish cakes, grills etc.The parts got buried/binned were heads and bones.

I've only got cheap knives but I sharpen them every time I fillet.

i sharpen my knife on a steel several times during the fillet of a single fish, if this helps the OP...

bones can really dull a fine fillet knife edge...

I released far more salmons than I took due to the fact that salmon is hard to avoid when fishing the beaches.

I do take those fish that were severely damaged, like the one deep hooked with two 3/0 suicide hooks and a wire leader. With those salmons I took home, meat were used for fish cakes, grills etc.The parts got buried/binned were heads and bones.

Ah, well my apologies then as you obviously do the right thing. I misunderstood your post.