couple of questions

Kaktis

Hey guys,

I normally use lures, but when I'm in my sorry excuse for a boat, I like to have 2 rods going... the second with bait.

Been using circles for doing this (2/0 and up) to minimize damage to any smaller fish that may be tempted, but I'm finding I'm still gut-hooking most of them, and losing a stack of hooks in the process.

Can someone give me any pointers to avoid this? I thought circles were supposed to be foolproof.. (said the idiot)...

Secondly, I'm hoping someone in the know can confirm private jetty usage... in Pittwater specifically..

Been very tempted to use one, but assume 'private' means just that, so haven't had the nerve.

Then I see some dude stroll on up to one, like it ain't no thang, and proceed to fish off it...

He'd come from the public access direction, not out the residence behind the jetty..

Any ideas?

Question 1: When fishing with circles, fish at fighting or locked up drag. The idea of circle hooks is not to strike. The fish needs to hook itself. All you need to do i apply pressure and 4/5 time it will snag them in the jaw corner. If your still having trouble gut hooking fish then try and upsize to a 4/0 or 5/0. This will stop almost any small fish swallowing your hook.

Question 2: To my understanding, private jetties are for private use only. Just because the guy may have gotten away with it doesn't mean its allowed. If you like give it a go but i think you should stick to other wharves in pittwater. Give Taylors Point Wharf a go this winter. I get plenty of John Dory, Leatherjackets, snapper and salmon from here. A lot of squid too! :thumbup:

Good luck!

Are the circle hooks straight or offset? If they are offset then chances are you will still gut hook them because instead of the hook sliding back up the gut and catching on the edge of the mouth it will catch in the stomach or gills. If you keep getting deep hooking try a circle where the point of the hook points right back into the start of the hook and as Tom said above don't strike.

Question 1: When fishing with circles, fish at fighting or locked up drag. The idea of circle hooks is not to strike. The fish needs to hook itself. All you need to do i apply pressure and 4/5 time it will snag them in the jaw corner. If your still having trouble gut hooking fish then try and upsize to a 4/0 or 5/0. This will stop almost any small fish swallowing your hook.

Question 2: To my understanding, private jetties are for private use only. Just because the guy may have gotten away with it doesn't mean its allowed. If you like give it a go but i think you should stick to other wharves in pittwater. Give Taylors Point Wharf a go this winter. I get plenty of John Dory, Leatherjackets, snapper and salmon from here. A lot of squid too! :thumbup:

Good luck!

Love tailors bay wharf. It gets very crowded though. Plenty of squid and caught a 60 cm tailor on a live there recently

Thanks guys, mack may just have nailed it...

I use inline circles, and don't strike, but I don't have my reel set for fighting drag... which now I think about it, is really bloody obviously the problem.

Oh, and yes, unless someone chimes in with news to the contrary, I'll stick to public wharves and jetties... I'd feel a bit funny about it anyways to be honest! I know how I'd feel if I walked out on my jetty and I was there.

Have tried tailors point a few times of late for not much joy, but I should give it another go given what you guys have said.

Thanks again!

Love tailors bay wharf. It gets very crowded though. Plenty of squid and caught a 60 cm tailor on a live there recently

Haven't been out there for a while though! Sounds like i better go for a look. Any kings over summer there?

Thanks guys, mack may just have nailed it...

I use inline circles, and don't strike, but I don't have my reel set for fighting drag... which now I think about it, is really bloody obviously the problem.

my 2c = are you leaving a lot of slack? if there is no tension usually from the sinker, then the fish may swallow the hook...

unless your drag is so loose that there is no tension (would have to be a bait-runner style) or you are in free spool or open bail?

it is the effort of the fish to 'move off' with the bait in its mouth that makes the circle hook 'hook'

my 2c = are you leaving a lot of slack? if there is no tension usually from the sinker, then the fish may swallow the hook...

unless your drag is so loose that there is no tension (would have to be a bait-runner style) or you are in free spool or open bail?

it is the effort of the fish to 'move off' with the bait in its mouth that makes the circle hook 'hook'

Just had drag set fairly loose.. no freespool or baitrunner mode... the idea being; if I've got my hands full flicking lures & this one goes, I'll have early warning & time to grab that rod before it goes over.

I suppose a $20 rod holder might not be a bad investment after all.