Favourite leader knots ?

rjc123

Hey raiders,

having had a few dodgy leader-main line knots lately i thought i'd post a thread. Whats the best way of tying leader to mainline? I've just been using a variation to a locked blood knot and one in every 3 seems to completely slip out when fishing. Any names/instructions/links would be fantastic! :thumbup:

Cheers, Tom

many people use albright but i don't like it too difficult to tie on a kayak

uni/uni has a weaker knot strength as i've lost some good fish on it,

best one is stren know, its a uni / half blood, big as the uni/uni but stronger imo.

For lighter lines i use back to back uni knots but for heavier gear I like the kanelt tied to a Bimini double on the braid end, pretty slim and hasn't let me down. The other one that I recently saw is the PR knot which is mega strong but a bit harder to tie. Just search for the names, there are loads of videos on the net. Hope this helps

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For lighter lines i use back to back uni knots but for heavier gear I like the kanelt tied to a Bimini double on the braid end, pretty slim and hasn't let me down. The other one that I recently saw is the PR knot which is mega strong but a bit harder to tie. Just search for the names, there are loads of videos on the net. Hope this helps

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the double uni knot on both my 10LB braided bait caster and also my 30LB braided overhead i use for kings etc. Mine dont fail at all...

slim beauty has never failed me. Plenty of vids on youtube that teach you how to tie them. Spend a couple of nights and practice in front of the telly. A couple of hours practice in front of the telly will make your fishing days alot easier!

I use a FG Knot because it is not bulky and i like

to wind it up through the guides onto the reel.

A bit tricky to tie but with practise gets easier.

I will be trying some of the other on here as well.

Good thread

Anthony

i also just learnt the albright knot as other knots were ticking me off because they kept hitting the guides, its so thin and pretty strong :thumbup:

Think I just cracked it. A few lovely looking albrights in a row! Definitely a thin knot too :thumbup:

Think I just cracked it. A few lovely looking albrights in a row! Definitely a thin knot too :thumbup:

i think the key to it is learning when to stop pulling both ends (mainline + mainline tag) and just pulling on the mainline...

if you pull it too far and slip over the leader, it will fail...

it seems different for all the different lines weights...

i use albright for up to 15lb leader, slim beauty for 15lb+ (as the tag end faces towards the reel, so hits the guides in a slightly more streamlined way... albright with <15lb the tag is small)

I always use albright knot after losing too many good fish using the double uni knot. I always tie the knot before i go out and put the knot through a bit of a stress test to make sure that it isnt slipping. Make sure you wet the knot with some before you pull it tight. This helps.

I've been using another version of the albright on light gear.

I just fold the leader to form a small loop & then tie it like an albright

using the braid to go up & back. Trick is I fold the braid over so it's

a double strand.

Still thin & I haven't broken one yet.

Fishing heavy I always go the mid knot.

Cheers,

Grant.

I've been using another version of the albright on light gear.

I just fold the leader to form a small loop & then tie it like an albright

using the braid to go up & back. Trick is I fold the braid over so it's

a double strand.

Still thin & I haven't broken one yet.

Fishing heavy I always go the mid knot.

Cheers,

Grant.

mid knot eh?

like this:

midknot%20.gif

it looks neater than the slim beauty as it doesnt have the double overhand...

gonna give this a try tonight :)

I didnt some playing around with with one of my game rods & tried the PR knot 80lb braid to 100lb leader of about 20mtrs ( doing away with the old wind on leader )& tested the strength of it, i pulled 22kg on the spring scales very happy with that, im sure it would pull more but anymore drag than that id say i would get pulled over the side of the boat fighting a fish, after reading all about the mid knot & the PR knot the PR seems the better one & its actually quite easy to do. I will be trying this set up on tuna & see how it goes. It dont look like much of a difference between the 2 knots actually.

Edited by scaffsta

Just remember that the pr & mid knot are for heavy braid to even heavier leader.

The lightest braid I've managed to tie it in is 10kg.

You can't tie it in any standard fireline, no matter how heavy, as it doesn't grab.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks for that its diametre is .52 reasonably heavy braid & the mono is 1.0 in diametre so hopefully it should be ok.

I tried it quite a few times & seems quite strong.

What do you think Grant ??

Cheers Steve.

Thanks for that its diametre is .52 reasonably heavy braid & the mono is 1.0 in diametre so hopefully it should be ok.

I tried it quite a few times & seems quite strong.

What do you think Grant ??

Cheers Steve.

Yep, sounds right Steve.

I'll tell you one thing, you will NEVER break that at the knot.

Maybe your braid, maybe your leader, but not at the knot.

Cheers,

Grant.