Soft Plastics Trip off Cronulla

Pongrass18ft

Hi Raiders

Headed out for a fish today with "gonefishin" (Meng) in Port Hacking using soft plastics as our main goal. Weather wasn't that good, it was drizzling when we arrived but being the long weekend we weren't going to let the weather dampen our fun and boy we had everything out there today....wind, rain and choppy rough seas. Headed out to the close-in reefs and started throwing plastics around, we were also armed with 2 litres of chicken noodle soup, 1 litre of piping hot coffee and gourmet sandwiches to keep us warm. Wasn't long and Meng hooked up to his first snapper measuring 50cm on a soft plastic I've never seen before. Next fish to be hooked was a nice solid king fish by myself which was caught on a 6" grub nuclear chicken which I enjoyed the fight tremendously but was lost boat side when the hook came free. We then moved around a little as things got rather quiet and they stayed that way for some time so we decided to sit back and enjoy some sandwiches and coffee.

Weather started to improve rain wise so we moved to a new spot and got back into fishing where we got quite alot of hook-ups from rat king fish and many reef species and we managed to bag a few more snapper and a really nice looking tropical species of fish which I have never seen before in all the years of fishing in Cronulla which we let go and was nice to see it swimming away beautifully. It measured 26cm. I have posted a picture of it so if anyone knows what it is please let me know.

Finishing the day off we changed to squid jigs and gathered a few squid before heading in.

Chris

post-13990-074363800 1339324253_thumb.jpg

post-13990-023407700 1339324265_thumb.jpg

post-13990-067776900 1339324283_thumb.jpg

post-13990-091892500 1339324303_thumb.jpg

post-13990-020953400 1339324321_thumb.jpg

Gday

gotta love the hot tucker during a session at this time of year!

pretty sure that's an 'old wife" maybe juvenile. info here...http://australianmuseum.net.au/Old-Wife-Enoplosus-armatus-White-1790

cheers.

Thanks benny 81

Thats the one :thumbup:

Chris.

Formoson

My rods are 3-6kg Pflueger trion and wilson souvreign.

Meng uses ian miller and shimano trios i think is the name of the white rod very similar rating to mine.

Must say his white rod looks the goods will be investing in one too.

Chris.

well done boys for heading out in those conditions the squid cetanly are worth it more than the snapper, I will get some of that paint of you for the squid jigs chris :)

And meng at least you can go to work without the withdrawal symptoms for another week :P

Edited by Groper

Thanks Chris.

That 3-6 rating of rod is not too light to pull in big red with a hump on it's head? :biggrin2:

The new white Shimano rod is called Terez actually.

Yes, it's is the Terez 10-20lb match with pfluger patriarch 935xt and a second set up is a shimano tcurve revolution inshore 6-8 kg match with a Stella 5000, may be its too big for the rod. But it could never be too big as last year, I hooked on to a 1.2m mako shark and the gear took it very well.

Thanks meng

well done boys for heading out in those conditions the squid cetanly are worth it more than the snapper, I will get some of that paint of you for the squid jigs chris :)

And meng at least you can go to work without the withdrawal symptoms for another week :P

Haha

Shame you couldnt join us. As withdrawal symptoms, I don't have a problem with because I'm a fisholic.

Meng

Yes, it's is the Terez 10-20lb match with pfluger patriarch 935xt and a second set up is a shimano tcurve revolution inshore 6-8 kg match with a Stella 5000, may be its too big for the rod. But it could never be too big as last year, I hooked on to a 1.2m mako shark and the gear took it very well.

Thanks meng

Nice setup. Reel envy :) The Mako must give it s good test. Can you cast plastics well with the 6-8 tcurve? Thinking of getting one for casting plastics for snapper but not sure which rating.

Hi Raiders

Headed out for a fish today with "gonefishin" (Meng) in Port Hacking using soft plastics as our main goal. Weather wasn't that good, it was drizzling when we arrived but being the long weekend we weren't going to let the weather dampen our fun and boy we had everything out there today....wind, rain and choppy rough seas. Headed out to the close-in reefs and started throwing plastics around, we were also armed with 2 litres of chicken noodle soup, 1 litre of piping hot coffee and gourmet sandwiches to keep us warm. Wasn't long and Meng hooked up to his first snapper measuring 50cm on a soft plastic I've never seen before. Next fish to be hooked was a nice solid king fish by myself which was caught on a 6" grub nuclear chicken which I enjoyed the fight tremendously but was lost boat side when the hook came free. We then moved around a little as things got rather quiet and they stayed that way for some time so we decided to sit back and enjoy some sandwiches and coffee.

Weather started to improve rain wise so we moved to a new spot and got back into fishing where we got quite alot of hook-ups from rat king fish and many reef species and we managed to bag a few more snapper and a really nice looking tropical species of fish which I have never seen before in all the years of fishing in Cronulla which we let go and was nice to see it swimming away beautifully. It measured 26cm. I have posted a picture of it so if anyone knows what it is please let me know.

Finishing the day off we changed to squid jigs and gathered a few squid before heading in.

Chris

Well done Chris some great fish there. Good to see your still getting on fish. those snapper love the nuclear chicken dont even need to work them lol.

Cheers, Stan

Nice setup. Reel envy :) The Mako must give it s good test. Can you cast plastics well with the 6-8 tcurve? Thinking of getting one for casting plastics for snapper but not sure which rating.

Hey buddy, can't complain with the Tcurve as it does everything I wanted to do.

Happy fishing!

Meng