Wet Monday but worth it - Jews, Flats & Sambo

So we hatched a plan to head out this morning....sitting at the boat ramp in a cosy car as the rain feel around us at 7am, none of us were overly keen to get going but we'd figured we were there and might as well give it a shot.

Launched and headed to our first bridge in search of a Jew....first couple of pilon Nil but then Coyote got a knock and called it for a missed jew. Next cast and bang he's onto to nice jew that went 52cm....this is the first jew for the Stratos and the first one we'd managed without the assistance of a guide (notice how I said "we'd" when really I had nothing to do with it, other than supply the boat). It was only after he'd hoocked this first jew that we realised I'd left the environet in garage so the little yak assist net was all we had to land any fish today.

Couple of pics and a swim in livewell and off he swam....he also pulled 3 solid flaties off the same pilon....meanwhile my other mate and I had not felt a bump since pulling up.

post-4925-077387500 1339389327_thumb.jpg

After working the pilons we headed to flats for a quick flick....nothing really doing until a 52 cm Sambo grabbd my placcy, I'd forgoten how much fun they are in the 6 ft of water on 4lb braid. Got to love their acrobatics in the air too....strangely he had my placcy down really deep and I was thinking man that was lucky I didn't do my leader...but when I checked my leader there wasn't even a scuff mark....very strange... :thumbup: for Nitlon....he was bleeding badly after surgery but a quick swim and off he went...(no pics)

When then dropped my mate back at the ramp to go home and thaw out and decided to head a little west....marked some good bait a a big hole but couldn't find any fish that wanted to play. Went down to another bridge and just before 11am (otherwise know as 'no Jew on the Chew time') Coyote nailed this little beauty that went 69cm....again all we had was the little berkly yak net which actually did a good job.

post-4925-029218400 1339389264_thumb.jpg

Stayed for a couple more flicks then the sky's really opened up with the only protection being the concret bridge platform above. So we tried to leccy around to stay under cover but the filthy water coming off the bridge changed our minds so we hightailed it home at full noise.

post-4925-060523200 1339389237_thumb.jpg

So pretty gald that we stayed with the plan to get out there. only saw 2 other boats on the water all morning....end result 2 jews to 69cm, 4 flatties to 54cm and 1 sambo 52cm....

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Awesome work poddy, salmon, jew and good size flatties would have warmed you up for sure! Well done sticking it out in the miserable weather...... been looking at the weather reports and doesnt look like going away and time in the next month. but if your results are anything to go by i dont think i will care that much.

Great work Poddy! I was in Orange for the long weekend pruning grape vines with a promise to get out on a dam for some rainbows but the lousy Sydney weather came over and spoiled it today! I cant wait to get out on the yak again and maybe this rain will, as you say stir things up!

Hi

Congratulations

You deserved to have a good result the rain kept me and a lot of others off the waters.

There have been a few surface fish and birds during the last week in the area where you caught the second jew.

Maybe I should leave the blackies alone and chase a jew.

Bruce

Thanks guys... definately worth the effort, but when you are soaked to the bone and freezin Jatz Crackers off you start to question your motives...

Well done sticking it out in the miserable weather...... been looking at the weather reports and doesnt look like going away and time in the next month.

Fingers crossed the weather man's got it wrong and the weather clears up....didn't see any surface action in my travels west though....Sambo was on the eastern side of Captain cook...

There have been a few surface fish and birds during the last week in the area where you caught the second jew.

Maybe I should leave the blackies alone and chase a jew.

Bruce

Yeah we didn't see any surface action all day, had our eyes peeled, did mark some bait on the way up though, figured we come back and flick some placcy's at it but the weather moved and so we high tailed it...

Well done Brendon! Great result from such crap weather! Thank GOD for good wet weather gear! yahoo.gif

It has been raining here all week - trying to clear up today, but still lots of heavy showers! HOpe it cleans up by the weekend, i have Michelle & her son coming up from Nelson Bay, for a weekend yak fishing! Always nicer in the sun than the rain!

cheers

Roberta