SYDNEY HARBOUR PANNIES

craigbutcher

Hi Guys,

I fish the harbour a lot, and it's interesting to note that my captures of legal snapper are increasing in both frequency and size from 2009 - 2012.

Hit the harbour weekend before last at 1:45am till 7am and berleyed just off shark island in the 25m mark which marks bait.

Caught a few tailor and plenty of pannies from 32cm to 40cm. Heaps of them, we left them biting.

Here they are snapped with a 2Litre bottle to show the size

post-11981-008054200 1339715298_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

I fish the harbour a lot, and it's interesting to note that my captures of legal snapper are increasing in both frequency and size from 2009 - 2012.

Hit the harbour weekend before last at 1:45am till 7am and berleyed just off shark island in the 25m mark which marks bait.

Caught a few tailor and plenty of pannies from 32cm to 40cm. Heaps of them, we left them biting.

good stuff mate, nice to know they are firing :)

Hi Guys,

Not only in the Harbour but also in Coogee many people got snappers at that sizes on white bread while targeting Blackfish atm.

Cheers,

Andy

Using Anecdotal evidence (no real basis for my claims except for personal observation), it seems the removal of commercial fishing in the harbour is bringing it back to what it may have been like 30 years ago! A world class snapper fishery!

Would love to see 5-8 KG snapper a regular occurance in Sydney Harbour, like PORT PHILLIP BAY.

Who says it cannot acheive this? When long reef which is only 4 km away does...

Butch

Edited by THE BUTCH

Hey Butch

Here's another snippit of info on the harbour for you.

It did indeed have a snapper fishery that was nearly as good as Port P Bay many many long years ago.

The reason was it had extensive mussel beds to support them.

Fishing practises and pollution took their toll and it was goodbye snapper.

With massively improved water quality,and the ceassation of commercial fishing now the beds are no longer being destroyed.

Expect bigger and better catches in the future.

I used to fish the harbour, reakon I will have to start again.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Hi Guys,

Thats a decent haul!

What bait did the damage?

Hey Butch

Here's another snippit of info on the harbour for you.

It did indeed have a snapper fishery that was nearly as good as Port P Bay many many long years ago.

The reason was it had extensive mussel beds to support them.

Fishing practises and pollution took their toll and it was goodbye snapper.

With massively improved water quality,and the ceassation of commercial fishing now the beds are no longer being destroyed.

Expect bigger and better catches in the future.

I used to fish the harbour, reakon I will have to start again.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Hi Tom

Amazing mate!

I really hope to see the day the harbour is back to full health!

I always dream of going back in time say 100 YEARS to 1911, to see what the fishing in the harbour was once like. Can you image, 10kg snapper, 25kg Kings in plague proportion, Big sharks, amazing thought!

Hope me and my kids can see a repairing of a once great fishery!

Thanks for the replies all.

Butch

Butch

The original Doyle family (Watsons Bay)were the fishermen of the harbour.!!!!!!

They have some amazing photo,s and great historical records.

They have a few books out, I got one can't tell you the others though.

FYI

Cheers

Trapper

HI Tom

Awesome mate, do you know the book?

Would love to find out more about the harbour in it's former days, hopefully, latter days... haha

Thanks

Butch

Hi guys,

I have one here on my shelf "Doyle's Fish Cookbook" by Alice Doyle. First published 1979 by Angus & Robertson. Old school recipes with accompanying old stories handed down from the original Doyle family. Many feature Jew, Kings, Mullet(!) Snapper, Gemmies and Blackfish - I guess what was commonly locally available back then.

Regarding the reds - I moved to Syd from a 'much better' fishing area about 6 years ago & the harbour & surrounds just continues to surprise. Here's a few recent ones out of a wash in a bit of rough weather - what more could you ask for on your home ground??!!

Cheers

post-8037-066835100 1339744053_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

top catch mate and a nice feed :thumbup:

Top catches fellas. This is great to see. I have always wondered why our water ways up here dont hold the snapper like down south around port phillip bay. hope it keeps improving. I think the fishing is definitly getting better since the fishing license has come in and less commercial fishing has been brought in.

Dave

Top catch and it's great to hear the population and size are returning. I hope commercial fishing keeps away from both harbour and Botany Bay. Yes we can see great results from Port Phillip Bay since the commercial side stopped there.

I remember fishing Old mans Hat in the harbour 30 odd years ago. Some of the old timers I was fishing with remember marlin being caught there (very few that is).

Imagine, Marlin land based off Sydney harbour, PRICELESS! :thumbup: