Cronulla in close 16/6/12

wahoo76

Hi fellas

Fished in close today chasing reds. Started out south of Jibbon bombie and drifting north. Current was perfect drifting lightly weighted baits and plastics along the bottom. Came across rats to 45cm then picked up my first red mowie to 55cm. Had some guys next to us pick up a snapper which looked around 2 kg so things were looking promising. My dads rod gets a bite and pulls up a just legal red. Pretty close to the bombie at this stage and start pulling lines in to move out a little and my rod buckles over and the drag is screaming. I get it out of the rod holder and all I could do is hold on. 30lbs braid-50lbs leader and I didn't have a chance. Got smoked big time. BUT this thing took me under rocks/ reef and snagged me up. Maybe a big Groper??

Anyhow couple little reef species and quite a bit of rain but a good day out. Good to get the boat wet. It's been 3weeks.

Probably hittin Belambi next week. Snapper is on the menu.

Cheers

John

Bad luck mate! Could have been a grouper. Might have even been a jew or snapper. Their first instinct is to head straight for the reef. But then you say it snagged you up under the reef? That makes me think more big blue grouper!

Hi John

Nice work on the close grounds.

I have been slammed by blue groper in close, and they go nuts, heavy long runs and straight back into the reef / cave.

I general find with the snapper, their first run is always explosive and quick, however, i must admit I havent been reefed by many if any, the big ones up around the 2-5kg mark seem to run wide... I have felt reef on the leader, however, always turned their heads after the 1st of 2nd run.

My gues was a nice blue groper. I felt reef on this longy snapper, however, I could easily turns it's head after the 2nd run.

SNAPPER LONG REEF.bmp

Hi fellas

Fished in close today chasing reds. Started out south of Jibbon bombie and drifting north. Current was perfect drifting lightly weighted baits and plastics along the bottom. Came across rats to 45cm then picked up my first red mowie to 55cm. Had some guys next to us pick up a snapper which looked around 2 kg so things were looking promising. My dads rod gets a bite and pulls up a just legal red. Pretty close to the bombie at this stage and start pulling lines in to move out a little and my rod buckles over and the drag is screaming. I get it out of the rod holder and all I could do is hold on. 30lbs braid-50lbs leader and I didn't have a chance. Got smoked big time. BUT this thing took me under rocks/ reef and snagged me up. Maybe a big Groper??

Anyhow couple little reef species and quite a bit of rain but a good day out. Good to get the boat wet. It's been 3weeks.

Probably hittin Belambi next week. Snapper is on the menu.

Cheers

John

John

Fiar guess I reckon, was lucky enough to boat a groper of about 12kg at the end of February at Jibbon on the inside on a piece of fresh squid. Solid muscle and pulled like a kingy at first. Went for a troll on Sunday for 3 hours and hooked up to a couple of good sambos the biggest was bang on 3kgs plus a rat kingie. Pretty cruisy but fun. I will be out there chasing pinkies on the plastics this weekend...weather permitting.

Johno