size spin reel for jigging browns mountain

rabb1t

What size spinning reel should I get for jigging Browns Mountain? I'm thinking a 18000 saragosa. Will it be too heavy?

Also, what strength braid should I go? Considering 30lb so I get more line on the reel.

One last question...what weight jigs do you tend to use the most there?

All the wide jigging I've done has been on 37kg standup spin gear with 250-400g jigs. I've heard you can go lighter but there's gotta be no current.

Cheers Leo

Cheers Leo. What reels were you using that was holding enough line for 37kg?

Was it productive jigging at Browns? Hate to bust my balls for nothing. :biggrin2:

Edited by rabb1t

It was out on a charter, so I'm not sure, but think maybe it was a daiwa, saltiga. It was bloody hard work and we didnt see a fish off the jigs all day. But then again that's fishing.

Cheers Leo

What size spinning reel should I get for jigging Browns Mountain? I'm thinking a 18000 saragosa. Will it be too heavy?

Also, what strength braid should I go? Considering 30lb so I get more line on the reel.

One last question...what weight jigs do you tend to use the most there?

Rabb1t,

Did my first trip to Browns on Saturday, so by no means an expert however 30lb does seem light in my opinion. Shallowest section appears to be about 350 metres so I reckon you would want 500m of whatever you are fishing, which I would think would be 50lb braid+. Stay tuned got some photos to post.

Regards

Johno

30lb is way too light you want atleast 80lb

and a overhead would be a better option

my deep jigging outfit is a JM PE10 reel and it holds over 650mtrs of 80lb

a spin reel like the stella 20k would do the job but you would either need to be using very thin braid or upgrade your spool to one of the new JM spools that hold more line

Edited by Framedtrash