would not surprise me

nautica

I wish I was a politician, I rather be the one laughing than the one who's pissed off :ranting2: What is it again... something stupid like 40% one our energy bills?

Mate, I don't know where you're getting your info.

It's 8.9%, which equals around $2 a week. If you earn under $150,000 you've just been given more than that back as a tax cut. If you earn more than $150,000, I'm sure you won't notice the $2.

Here's the statement from the energy regulator:

http://www.ipart.nsw.gov.au/Home/Industries/Electricity/Reviews/Retail_Pricing/Changes_in_regulated_electricity_retail_prices_from_1_July_2012/13_Jun_2012_-_Fact_Sheet_-_Consumer_summary_of_final_decision/Fact_Sheet_-_Consumer_summary_of_final_decision_-_June_2012

Hrgh

Edited by hrgh

The carbon tax is a joke.

If every cent collected from this tax was put directly towards the construction and implementation of renewable energy sources I would support it.

The fact is, this is not the case. So the very need for this tax (to combat climate change) is not being met hence rendering it a cop-out

Edited by fishmaniac

Mate, I don't know where you're getting your info.

It's 8.9%, which equals around $2 a week. If you earn under $150,000 you've just been given more than that back as a tax cut. If you earn more than $150,000, I'm sure you won't notice the $2.

Here's the statement from the energy regulator:

http://www.ipart.nsw.gov.au/Home/Industries/Electricity/Reviews/Retail_Pricing/Changes_in_regulated_electricity_retail_prices_from_1_July_2012/13_Jun_2012_-_Fact_Sheet_-_Consumer_summary_of_final_decision/Fact_Sheet_-_Consumer_summary_of_final_decision_-_June_2012

Hrgh

Mate you realised its phased over 3 years right?

And its 18% as of now, plus the state tax...

And its not just energy either, things like your council rates are going up too.

So no... its not $2.

EDIT: No I stand corrected, Gillard now says 3 - 5 years, which in politician language equats to 7 - 9 years, and maybe throw in some more levys here and there.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Mate you realised its phased over 3 years right?

And its 18% as of now, plus the state tax...

And its not just energy either, things like your council rates are going up too.

can you explain those comments a bit more? what is 18%?

I thought the CT was charged per tonne?

can you explain those comments a bit more? what is 18%?

I thought the CT was charged per tonne?

have a look at the fact sheet which was linked by hrgh.

Look at the pdf.

In a nut shell, the Government is taking money from big companies, as well as high income earners (anything over 80K) - and giving it to the very low income earners... and that helps us how??? If someone can answer that, I'd be delighted to hear it.

What they don't tell you, is how it affects all of your other bills and grocery, and how it can affect local business. My prediction is, everything will soon be outsourced, Australia is getting too expensive - for the people that work hard anyway... :thumbdown:

Carbon Tax = government taxing the big energy companies = energy companies raising their fees = expensive bills for consumers

well, the PDF says only half (8.9%) of the NSW energy price increase is due to the CT, the rest of the 18% is due to incompetent electricity network managers...

still not really sure where your 40% fits in though?

EDIT: i am not trying to argue with you, i am just a bit confused by your comments?

Edited by user1829

Sorry what I meant was, currently it is fixed for 3 years. Over that period, it will equate to 40%.

So no you don't pay 40% right now, but you will be over 3 years. Plus the underlying state taxes.

If you earn over 80k, you should be angry about this. If you earn 81k, you lose out big time. :thumbdown:

On the flip side, if you installed solar panels and getting the 60c rebate from years ago like one of my cousins, you're laughing.

Sorry what I meant was, currently it is fixed for 3 years. Over that period, it will equate to 40%.

So no you don't pay 40% right now, but you will be over 3 years. Plus the underlying state taxes.

ahh, OK, i get what you are saying!

If you earn over 80k, you should be angry about this. If you earn 81k, you lose out big time.

is there a way to calculate how much?

Good question !

I was trying to find out this myself, but cannot locate any good sources...

However I did find out some information for the people who earn under 80k:

http://www.cleanenergyfuture.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Fact-sheet-9-Household-assistance-Tax-reform.pdf

But yer, I'm estimating we are going to be out of pocket $300 a year, hence why the tax cuts are $300 on average for lower earners.

half the increase to power bills is up grades to the sub stations and poles and wire my company does a lot off work for energy australia and over the last year we have had at least one contract per month worth around 8 to 10 k

energy australia supports local companys and there are many off them so i don't mind the 9% price rise

but there are wispers that the upgrades are being done so they can eather float the company or flog it off :ranting2: why would you sell a company that makes a profit that seames like a silly thing to do

as for the carbon tax well remember the gst and howards promise o thats right it was a non core promise :biggrin2:

and just to sturr the pot woollys did a 50 year survay taking pics off all the little kids chucking tanys in the lolly section and they all grew up to be voters for well you know who :1yikes::biggrin2: cheers gary

half the increase to power bills is up grades to the sub stations and poles and wire my company does a lot off work for energy australia and over the last year we have had at least one contract per month worth around 8 to 10 k

energy australia supports local companys and there are many off them so i don't mind the 9% price rise

but there are wispers that the upgrades are being done so they can eather float the company or flog it off :ranting2: why would you sell a company that makes a profit that seames like a silly thing to do

as for the carbon tax well remember the gst and howards promise o thats right it was a non core promise :biggrin2:

and just to sturr the pot woollys did a 50 year survay taking pics off all the little kids chucking tanys in the lolly section and they all grew up to be voters for well you know who :1yikes::biggrin2: cheers gary

There is no doubt the majority of your electricity bill increase is due to a huge upgrade of the NSW network. This has come after years of neglect with Govt from both sides stripping money out of the distributors to prop up the State. One of the catalysts for the upgrades was about six years ago when the Union pointed out to the press that a large part of the CBD was blacked out following a substation blowing up when a cheap tarp covering it became torn and the sprinkler that was cooling it sprayed through the hole. OFarrell has already mooted taking the sale of distributors to the next election.

As for the carbon tax the simple fact is it will work as an incentive to reduce emissions. If you can lower your electricity use you may be able to come out ahead after the tax cuts. If you are big business you are continually trying to reduce costs and this will give them a big push to move towards more energy efficient methods.

One of the main reasons we haven't moved to renewables as quickly as other countries is that our coal costs are so low. Electricity generators will now spend more money on renewables as they will have be able to reduce their carbon output and therefore pay less carbon tax.

There is no point saying we need to reduce emissions but we will trust business to do it themselves, they simply don't care. The two methods that have been implemented in a wide range of countries around the world are the Tax and a trading scheme. They are both very similar as the cost of carbon is charged to business just in different methods. The theory behind both of them though is that if business is charged a levy for the damage they cause they will find ways to reduce that cost and therefore reduce the damage.

Dave

As for the carbon tax the simple fact is it will work as an incentive to reduce emissions. If you can lower your electricity use you may be able to come out ahead after the tax cuts. If you are big business you are continually trying to reduce costs and this will give them a big push to move towards more energy efficient methods.

Thats what they said, but bottom line its not the case.

1.The Gov is giving money back to lower income earners - negates "some" of the tax

2.Big businesses are raising their fees - negates the tax gov imposes

Which leaves the question of, where is all of this money raised, coming from?

Answer: Higher income earners. :thumbdown: = Gov's elaborate plan to f*ck us over again and again and again just like Robin Hood with a catch.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it isn't going to hurt big business.

Rising costs will affect a small business like mine big time.

It's funny how this Government implies that it's all about helping 'working families'.

Working families will be the ones paying the carbon tax, not big business!

Doesn't it realise that small business employs 80% of the workforce?

I always laugh when I think back to when Labour was saying that the only reason

the Libs had the economy in the black was because of the mining boom.

We're still in a mining boom but we are broke!!!

If I ran my business like Labour runs the county I would be out of business.

Bring on the next election. :ranting2:

• 2 weeks later...

Thats what they said, but bottom line its not the case.

1.The Gov is giving money back to lower income earners - negates "some" of the tax

2.Big businesses are raising their fees - negates the tax gov imposes

Which leaves the question of, where is all of this money raised, coming from?

Answer: Higher income earners. :thumbdown: = Gov's elaborate plan to f*ck us over again and again and again just like Robin Hood with a catch.

The economic theory is that in mature industries where there is little differentiation between products (think electricity and groceries for example) customers become more sensitive to price. When a business operates on a cost leadership strategy their resources are arranged to maximise efficiency. If their business operations pollute, and attract carbon tax, their costs go up and they become uncompetitive.

Customers should shop around and use their purchasing power to reward low emission companies who pay less tax. Basically they are letting consumer market forces influence companies to reduce emissions.