Mixed Bag at Roseville - 10/7/12

rjc123

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

are you allowed to fish on the poontoon?

No i don't think you can. There's nothing to stop you trying though... you can still get some bream by casting lightly weighted baits at the pontoon from the right hand side.

10lb should be ok. It wouldn't hurt to go down to 8 though.. just tie it directly onto the spool using a strong knot. You can have a layer of backing (mono) but i only do this on my heavier rods (30lb+)

Just wanted to say thanks again. I used my new braid for the 1st time today and after the 1st cast I was totally impressed.. It's amazing :) I'll definitely be sticking with it! Only problem I have is cutting/trimming. I got some shimano braid scissors. Is there some kind of trick to them though? Or have I just picked crap ones? Lol

Just wanted to say thanks again. I used my new braid for the 1st time today and after the 1st cast I was totally impressed.. It's amazing :) I'll definitely be sticking with it! Only problem I have is cutting/trimming. I got some shimano braid scissors. Is there some kind of trick to them though? Or have I just picked crap ones? Lol

I just use normal scissors and basically push the scissors through the line. Sounds weird but works for me!

try bringing the braid all the way down the scissors then cut

Thanks for the suggestions. I've just been holding it taut in the grooves then trying to cut. Perhaps it needs to go on top of a groove, rather than in it. I dunno, never thought cutting something would be this complex lol. Otherwise I'll give the normal scissors a go using the 'pushing technique'. I'm bound to find something that works eventually

Thanks for the suggestions. I've just been holding it taut in the grooves then trying to cut. Perhaps it needs to go on top of a groove, rather than in it. I dunno, never thought cutting something would be this complex lol. Otherwise I'll give the normal scissors a go using the 'pushing technique'. I'm bound to find something that works eventually

I use either a set of Rapala braid scissors or a pair of surgical scissors.

Keep them clean and adjusted (i.e. the blades must not be loose).

The main "trick" with light braid is to keep a bit of tension on the tag when cutting.

Check ut some knot websites/books for knots specific to braid, in most cases it may simply mean more wraps or loops before pulling up the knot.

And use leader! Don't run your braid all the way thru to your terminals.

The hardest part with braid is joining the braid to leader, so look up the following knots:

1)"Double Uni" (back to back uni)

2)"Slim Beauty"

3)"Improved Albright"

4)"Surgeons Knot"

On light braid (6 - 15lb) I usually use a double uni (easiest to do!).

On anything heavier I usually use a Bimini Twist in the braid before joining to the leader with a slim beauty or a "Tony Jones" OR no bimini joined with a "Melville Special".

make sure the braid is tight when u cut it makes it much easier

I use either a set of Rapala braid scissors or a pair of surgical scissors.

Keep them clean and adjusted (i.e. the blades must not be loose).

The main "trick" with light braid is to keep a bit of tension on the tag when cutting.

Check ut some knot websites/books for knots specific to braid, in most cases it may simply mean more wraps or loops before pulling up the knot.

And use leader! Don't run your braid all the way thru to your terminals.

The hardest part with braid is joining the braid to leader, so look up the following knots:

1)"Double Uni" (back to back uni)

2)"Slim Beauty"

3)"Improved Albright"

4)"Surgeons Knot"

On light braid (6 - 15lb) I usually use a double uni (easiest to do!).

On anything heavier I usually use a Bimini Twist in the braid before joining to the leader with a slim beauty or a "Tony Jones" OR no bimini joined with a "Melville Special".

thanks :) that's really all I need to cut (the ends of where I connect the braid to leader). I'd tried learning an Albright knot, but it wasn't going so well. I decided to do a double uni knot as the uni is the only one I've yet mastered lol. I'll see if more loops makes a difference to the tension though, otherwise I'll just leave the end longer initially so I've got more to hold before trimming. I really wish I'd done scouts, or girl guides or something when i was younger!!!! Knot tying is definitely not my forte ;)

make sure the braid is tight when u cut it makes it much easier

thanks :) I tried that, but don't think I'd left myself enough braid to hold it tight. I'll see if it makes a difference next time. Otherwise I'll get someone else to hold whilst I cut ;)