Middle Head 10 July

appoooh

Braved the 35 knot winds and occasional rain to fish the run-out tide at Middle Head from 1PM to 4PM. The blackfish were plentiful, and unusually agressive for the area - almost every down led to a hookup. I caught 5 of them - 3 typically harbour sized, and 2 ocean-run fish to 42cm. No drummer today though.

Left as the swell started getting really dangerous. :1yikes:

Guest bluecod

:1welcomeani: to the site appoooh.

Good result from a fairly ordinary day - boy you've got to be keen to fish in the wind and swell around today. Those ocean-run blackfish can give you a good workout and make it worthwhile. Well done :thumbup:

I went down there yesterday after I read your report, it was freezing cold and windy but the "naturalists" were there oblivious. I walked right past, eyes straight ahead, not stopping, not bending over. Anyways, when I got round onto the rocks I couldnt find a single strand of weed to use, so I had to come back.

Do you get your weed from round there, or from somewhere else?

Take the walking track to the Eastern fort. On the left hand side you'll find a short track to the cliff face (it's now marked with a warning sign, a 21 year old fell to his death here on the 3rd of July). Turn right and walk along the cliff until you see a heavy chain and the way down. Its an easy climb, just be careful! :1yikes:

When you get to the bottom, go left, and walk 100 or so metres NW. Fish in the wash at either of the two low platforms between the bays.

Guest bluecod
Take the walking track to the Eastern fort.  On the left hand side you'll find a short track to the cliff face (it's now marked with a warning sign, a 21 year old fell to his death here on the 3rd of July).  Turn right and walk along the cliff until you see a heavy chain and the way down.  Its an easy climb, just be careful!  :1yikes:

When you get to the bottom, go left, and walk 100 or so metres NW.  Fish in the wash at either of the two low platforms between the bays.

57732[/snapback]

appoooh - you can't be much more helpful than that, unless you catch the fish for him goodonyamate :thumbup:

G'day guys,

Good to see some others taking advantage of Middle Head. I've been fishing it consistently since around 1989. Very good all round fishing and no weather conditions that it doesn't suit. If you want some easier blackfish fishing also try directly below the obelisk, much easier to get to , the climb is easier and it is generally out of the brunt of the swell. I've included the picture for reference to Middle Head (taken on a day 2 weeks ago when there was a pretty fair swell running).

Matt

post-21-1121171996_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

And the results. I meant to post up a report but only just got the photos.

As Apooooh says, both weed and cabbage work around there, I took all of mine on cabbage. Watch out for the big silver drummer though :)

post-21-1121172213_thumb.jpg

Edited by macman

No, it was Middle Head. The poor bastard fell at the most Easterly point. I was actually there on the day but I thought it was an exercise until I climbed up and saw the cops, ambulance and forensics team. And his two remaining mates.

How do you get to the obelisk Macman, do you have to cross Obelisk Beach, and is it in view of the beach? Cos I really dont want to walk down that path, bad things happen down there. I want to take my old man fishing for blackfish, but he's too old to get down the cliff face at the eastern side of Middle Head and I dont want to take him past a whole lot of questionable characters going at it in the bushes.

I fished from the bottom of the cliff at the eastern side this arvo and caught one blackie and hooked 3 more but they kept spitting it, I put that down to my hooks being a bit blunted.

Edited by Jocool

How do you get to the obelisk Macman, do you have to cross Obelisk Beach, and is it in view of the beach? Cos I really dont want to walk down that path, bad things happen down there. I want to take my old man fishing for blackfish, but he's too old to get down the cliff face at the eastern side of Middle Head and I dont want to take him past a whole lot of questionable characters going at it in the bushes.

I fished from the bottom of the cliff at the eastern side this arvo and caught one blackie and hooked 3 more but they kept spitting it, I put that down to my hooks being a bit blunted.

57984[/snapback]

G'day Mate,

Park in the parking area with the kayaks, take the track that goes due east along the cyclone fence ( ie facing the kayaks to your right). Take the track all the way along till you nearly hit the cliff ( facing South Head, Middle Head to your right), turn left and there is a good track heading south to the obelisk. At the fort near the obelisk, face towards south head and you have to search till you find the track down to the rock platform, the platform is about 100 metres long with a a fort at the north end tucked into the bay.

Good luck, if you like I could show you some time. I have never had ANY trouble with the GENTLEMEN that frequent that area, especially in winter :)

Matt