SYDNEY SNAPPER

craigbutcher

Hi Raiders,

Been a good season on the reds so far this season off SYDNEY.

Dead / dying cuttlefish floating at the moment right accross sydney & the reds are in cuttlefish ATTACK MODE!

Plenty of berley & fresh baits such as SQUID / CUTTLEFISH are doing the damage!

Any updates from other raiders on the season so far?

Butch

post-11981-046272400 1343104553_thumb.jpg

post-11981-083523800 1343104584_thumb.jpg

post-11981-037639600 1343104648_thumb.jpg

post-11981-063505000 1343104836_thumb.jpg

post-11981-024434400 1343104814_thumb.jpg

Edited by THE BUTCH

Where you fishing these out from? Down south Wollongong or out near the harbour?

HI Guys,

All where taken in around 18-25m zone offshore around 1-2km.

The secret is always bucket load of cubes / berley, and finding good snapper zones i.e. drop offs, gravel beds, structure etc.

Berley allows anglers consistancy in snapper fishing (I reckon). You may get lucky landing a red when not berleying, however, to land a big one each session, berley needs to flow.

Any other snapper reports for this season so far?

Butch

HI Guys,

All where taken in around 18-25m zone offshore around 1-2km.

The secret is always bucket load of cubes / berley, and finding good snapper zones i.e. drop offs, gravel beds, structure etc.

Berley allows anglers consistancy in snapper fishing (I reckon). You may get lucky landing a red when not berleying, however, to land a big one each session, berley needs to flow.

Any other snapper reports for this season so far?

Butch

Where were they caught out of Sydney heads or down near Wollongong if you don't mind me asking?

HI Zaki,

All Sydney reds mate, actually all caught within 25metres of each other on the reef.

Long reef mate, very good for snapper this time of year until Nov when it warms up too much for the big fellas.

Cube hard and you will find old man snapper.

Butch

Where were they caught out of Sydney heads or down near Wollongong if you don't mind me asking?

HI Zaki,

All Sydney reds mate, actually all caught within 25metres of each other on the reef.

Long reef mate, very good for snapper this time of year until Nov when it warms up too much for the big fellas.

Butch

Hi mate,

Do you anchor or drift over your spot?

HI Zaki,

Butch

sweet might give them a shot next time I get the chance to go out :)

sweet might give them a shot next time I get the chance to go out :)

Hi Zaki

Everyone has their favourite method for reds. Personally it's all about getting on the reef around 4am whilst dark and dropping squid jigs / squid jags down and getting fresh squid or cuttlefish (they feed extremely aggressively before sun up).

We anchor up on the ledge, right next to the drop off and feed cubes down a berley trail while it's pitch black with unweighted squid heads / strips in the trail. For myself personally, this is an extremely successful way to fish for reds.

Usually takes around 30mins up to 2hours before the big reds come up the trail, however, if you wait patiently, they will come with enough berley.

When we open up the reds to gut them, the big ones usually have a cube or two in their guts from our berley trail.

I have people tell me that big reds wont feed at dark in the morning, I can guarantee you they do as I have caught 5kg reds whilst it's pitch black before sun up. Granted, most of the big reds appear at first light.

Berley for me is the secret weapon.

Butch

Hi Zaki

Everyone has their favourite method for reds. Personally it's all about getting on the reef around 4am whilst dark and dropping squid jigs / squid jags down and getting fresh squid or cuttlefish (they feed extremely aggressively before sun up).

We anchor up on the ledge, right next to the drop off and feed cubes down a berley trail while it's pitch black with unweighted squid heads / strips in the trail. For myself personally, this is an extremely successful way to fish for reds.

Usually takes around 30mins up to 2hours before the big reds come up the trail, however, if you wait patiently, they will come with enough berley.

When we open up the reds to gut them, the big ones usually have a cube or two in their guts from our berley trail.

I have people tell me that big reds wont feed at dark in the morning, I can guarantee you they do as I have caught 5kg reds whilst it's pitch black before sun up. Granted, most of the big reds appear at first light.

Berley for me is the secret weapon.

Butch

Great info there BUTCH..... your a champion

Good haul mate, pays to fish very early for them doesn't it.

Have tried burleying hard many a time at long reef for snapper, however every time ive been there it results in massive schools of large sweep hitting all baits sent out for snapper! There really is no escape for them other than trying SP's. Aren't they a problem for you?

Good haul mate, pays to fish very early for them doesn't it.

Have tried burleying hard many a time at long reef for snapper, however every time ive been there it results in massive schools of large sweep hitting all baits sent out for snapper! There really is no escape for them other than trying SP's. Aren't they a problem for you?

HI Beaver,

Yeh the sweep can be a nightmare, however, there are a couple of things that seem to aleviate them a little

1) Try fish a bit deeper, the further out we fish, the less the sweep we seem to encounter.

2) Rather than mash up pillies in a berley bucket and bring the SWEEP just behind the boat, cube, and throw the cubes down current away from the boat. (That way the sweep dont sit right at the end of your boat). You want your berley to travel as far as it can to attrack more action from around the reef.

3) Cast baits down current, away from the boat too if the sweep are sitting just behind the boat.

All these are variable & dont always work, however, here is what we try sometimes.

Butch