Shimano Baitrunner 4500b

aeb870

Hi All,

Just got my hands on a Shimano Baitrunner 4500b and now very confused as to what line to use and in what class. This rod will mainly be used from the beach and rocks.

I have also been told they aren't designed for Braid and I should only use mono on them, but the person didn't really explain his reason for telling me this. Is this true?

Interested to see what suggestions some of you guys have for a reel of this size.

Hey mate

I run 30lb fins braid on mine without issue and have spooled 300 yards.

The line lay is not great but not causing any dramas.

Also nice to know that I can lock my drag if needed at 7kg and its close to one third breaking strain.

***EDIT*** I use mine for boat only, just read your post in full!

cheers

Paul

Edited by tasksta

Hey, thanks for that. Ye I only mainly use Finns braid, but just don't know what to use with this reel. It's my first bait runner.

When I get a boat again, I will definitely end up taking it out on the boat.

Hey, thanks for that. Ye I only mainly use Finns braid, but just don't know what to use with this reel. It's my first bait runner.

When I get a boat again, I will definitely end up taking it out on the boat.

What rod will you be using it on, what its kg rating.

Edited by PowerFisher

I run one on my medium beach rod. It's loaded with 15lb Fireline & it's accounted for some pretty big salmon & tailor. Only problem I can say is the don't cast particularly well but well enpough for most situations.

I got one of these for my old man the other week. The bloke told me to use mono on it as apparently the braid doesn't lay properly and can sometimes slip. It's a pretty nice reel cause some alright sized fish with it. I had it matched with a 12ft heavy surf rod running 20lb mono for fishing from the rocks mainly with some light beach action

• 2 weeks later...