Newport Beach fishing opportunity

JimT

With the removal of the beached whale done in sections I imagine there will be plenty of "burley" impregnated in the sand. Expect some interesting fishing over the next couple of days, coupled with the huge tides in the early night/morning. Any thoughts?

Edited by jot

With the removal of the beached whale done in sections I imagine there will be plenty of "burley" impregnated in the sand. Expect some interesting fishing over the next couple of days, coupled with the huge tides in the early night/morning. Any thoughts?

http://www.coastalwa...camName=Newport

only short view- may need to access a couple of times to see what's currently happening(this is in real time so once event is over this link will just show what is there at the time it's viewed. ie not an archive.

or this story

http://www.coastalwa...0Newport%20Pool

Edited by jot

yer me and a mate were talking about trying to head down there this weekend, and put out some shark baits. by memory there was heaps of big sharks hanging around last year when the sperm whale washed up on the rocks. seeing its on the beach i would say there will be plenty of hungry sharks near by but seeing they will struggle to get in close enough to take a bite they will be eating and attacking anything. i would be interested to hear from anyone who fished around the whale last year or this year.

I think tonight will be the go! Great looking gutters there today. Heaps of berley on the sand next to the pipe. I think the plan is get rid of the whale by this arvo and come back in the morning for clean up.

If it was in summer it'd be a different story! Sharks galore! Tigers, Bulls, Hammerheads and Bronzies everywhere! Still should be a few bronzies and hammers about but not in numbers. Maybe Jewfish would be an option? Northern Beaches are famous for their night-time winter big jewies! Big strip baits and whole squid are the go!

Cheers, Tom

After reading The Telegraph website today, some tree hugging greenie from the mid western suburbs (no offence to you guys out that way) said, "why not dig a big hole in the sand and bury the whale on the beach, cheaper." :074: :074: :074:

Imagine the smell hanging around for months, the sharks hanging about looking for a feed (chewing on a few surfers), the crabs running about the beach, maybe the beach worms would grow bigger. She has probably never been to a beach. No idea about dead animals and how they decompose, her pet budgie was probably the worst she has seen. :074: :074: :074:

Just wrapped up only put one school shark on the beach. Lost two nice fish in close on slabs of mullet - no bite offs so could have been my first beach Jews :-( I reckon I am going back tomorrow night for round two (if I can stand the stink)

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtf, I went to newport beach parking lot, it was dark and rock pool was way too far to walk, so I drove upto some cliff (map seem to show rock pool is directly under this cliff) and asked the family looking down the ocean if this place is where the dead whale is.... THEY SAID IT'S BURIED!!!!

so I got into my car and left! NOT HAPPY JAN.

wtf, I went to newport beach parking lot, it was dark and rock pool was way too far to walk, so I drove upto some cliff (map seem to show rock pool is directly under this cliff) and asked the family looking down the ocean if this place is where the dead whale is.... THEY SAID IT'S BURIED!!!!

Why were you not happy jan?

Just wrapped up only put one school shark on the beach. Lost two nice fish in close on slabs of mullet - no bite offs so could have been my first beach Jews :-( I reckon I am going back tomorrow night for round two (if I can stand the stink)

Dave

Hey champ,

Did you go back for round 2?

it was removed a few days ago by a team with chainsaws.. ew.