Soft plastics down the front of my house

James12345

Yesterday at around 8am a mate and i decided to throw around a few plastics out front of my house which is around the hunters hill area facing the gladesville bridge. We both had the old faithful bloodworm wrigglers on 1/6 tt jigheads. WE were woeking an area of sand when i say my mates line take up the slack and as he lifted, an all mighty bend in his katana could be seen. The fih started off with a monster run probably taking around 20m. I had to run back up to the house to get the net because we didnt expect such a fish. When i came back the fish had taken him into the shallows around a rock wall.. As it came around 10m away from the net it just came off. Mixed with shock and frustration my mate quickly reeled in the soft plastic to see that the hook had been totally bent!! I am guessing that it would not of been a pelagic as it did not have that much fight, just a real big weight.

Thoughts on what it could be??

I've hooked a few big salmon lately that have barely given me a run on light tackle I put it down to cold water so I wouldn't put pelagics out. Maybe a Jew or massive flatty. A ray could do it to. You just never know with fishing.

I do a lot of fishing around that location myself (Ferry St) and have caught a few salmon down there. From the size of that and looking at the conditions I would have thought it was jew fish!

Was fishing around there on Friday night and didn't catch a thing haha!

If it straightened the hook then it was most likely a jew or flathead. Best bet is a monster flattie i think. Rays can do that too but not like how you described the fight.

Cheers, Tom

Let this be a lesson for you mate, stay clear of tt jigheads. I have had bream straighten them they are a shit hook. I love gammas but my god they are weak hooks in those jigs. Even the VMC's in the squidgy jigs are better. Try the nitros I have had no dramas with them.