Jewhunter tries to sink the Slink

Over the years since moving to SE Queensland it's fair to say that a certain amount of friendly rivalry has developed with Jewhunter (who lives the wrong side of the border). Now state of origin can be brutal on the footy field but its nothing compared to the underhand tactics that JH will employ in our regular fishy state of origin clashes! Today he tried to sink my boat.

With a cracker weather forecast and good tides, JH convinced me to drag my boat over the border to launch through the Kingscliff bar. "I checked it out yesterday... it's easy... plenty of water... no sea". These assurances from a man who didn't want to use his own boat owing to it still being in recovery after he tried to drive it up a channel marker! But thinking him (wrongly as it turned out) to be a man of honor, I took him at his word and duly picked him up at around 4.45am and drove the 15 minutes to Kingy.

The water did look pretty docile in the pre-dawn dark. Being a conscientious river pilot type, Jewhunter walked me out along the wall and gave me detailed directions. Maybe I should have twigged when he double checked that I had lifejackets on board but the instructions were given in detail... "up the left side to that marker, then cross to the other wall, then follow the wall to the mouth, etc, etc.

So once we had a bit of light, off we went. I gave the Kingscliff VMR some entertainment when I logged in. It's been a while since I went outside so they got to check out my butt as I hung upside down over the bow to read my registration number. I couldn't hear them laughing but I'm petty sure the tower glass fogged up. After carefully following Jewhunter's VERY SPECIFIC directions I then gave them another laugh as I tried to remove the skeg from my motor on the rocky reef I'd been directed onto.

Things could only get better.

And they did.

We spent about an hour exploring some reefy edges close the bar, all the time surrounded by working Bonnies, heaps of bait and some good shows on the sounder. We picked up a couple of bonnies and JH landed a hefty Tarwhine, all on plastics. They weren't the reds we were hoping for but the sun was coming up on a flat sea and a ripper day. Once it got a little higher we left the shallows and worked over a couple of marks we'd been given (obviously from another New South Welshman since there were no fish on them). So finally deciding to revert to a spot we'd previously found ourselves that more or less straddles the state border (neutral territory) we found the fish we wanted.

post-6175-089366300 1345357042_thumb.jpg

post-6175-045460600 1345357048_thumb.jpg

post-6175-045127600 1345357054_thumb.jpg

As we started our first drift, JH announced that his first cast was going to land "right on the head of a 4kg Snapper". It didn't... it was only about 3kg. Niiiiice. While I might have lost the game, I can claim a moral victory since the boat was, despite JH's earlier best efforts, still afloat.

In state of origin terms JH then took me to school, landing a couple of nice snapper and losing an absolute honker while I pulled up flowerpots and pike. It was nevertheless great to see some nice fish coming over the side. Our only regret was not heading straight to our tried and true spot at first light because we only got around half an hour of good fishing until the rising sun put the good fish off and the sounder went from 'stacked' to 'sucks'.

It was a great session on the water and we were back inside before 10am. One of the highlights as always was Jewhunter's company. Sharing time on the water with such a polite and gentlemanly companion is always good and as those who know us can guess, quiet respectful and contemplative conversation was the order of the day (sadly we both forgot to read the orders). Good day, good fish, great company, great day.

Cheers from the SE corner (or NE for all you Sydney-siders)

Slinky

Edited by slinkymalinky

Sorry about the directions mate! :wacko:

You should know better than to listen to me... you've seen me drive a boat! :1yikes:

Thanks for an awesome little session. It has been way too long since we have managed to

get out.

I have missed our quiet, respectful banter. :074: :074:

I'm stoked. My p.b snapper on a plastic of 57cm's & it was in great nick.

I'm glad the 2nd one was gut hooked. It had to be to survive you smashing it over the head three times

trying to knock it off the hook!! :ranting2:

Thanks again mate. I can't wait to do it again.

Cheers,

Grant.

great read as always slink but i have a question as it's been a few years since i last saw you witch one is you as the heads in all pics look the same you could be twins :biggrin2:

cheers gary

C'mon Gary!

I'm the handsome one!! :074:

Cheers,

Grant.