Knots for thick mono

chriseels2010

Hi guys,

You may have noticed my other topic! My saragosa and live fibre arrived today and I love them.

Now being a newbie to thick lines, I'm struggling to tie my 70pd leader to my hooks and swivels. A quick internet search reaveals a host of suggestions, some bing the uni knot which is the only knot I really use, even this seems difficult to get several loops around...

What is everyone's thoughts? should I persevere and keep at the uni knot?

Cheers,

Chris

Hey mate the uni knot is what I use for heavier. Just note that the thicker the line the less loops u need to due. I use 50lb leader uni knot with 4 loops and can dead lift jewwies to 85 cm onto the rocks without the knot slipping or line breaking

• 1 month later...

I use for thick line, like 0.80mm - 2.0mm line UNI KNOT, but only 2-3 round over main line. Usually uniknot you use minimum 5 round, but thick line only 2-3 round is it even possible, and i have not been any problem with that.

Hi guys,

You may have noticed my other topic! My saragosa and live fibre arrived today and I love them.

Now being a newbie to thick lines, I'm struggling to tie my 70pd leader to my hooks and swivels. A quick internet search reaveals a host of suggestions, some bing the uni knot which is the only knot I really use, even this seems difficult to get several loops around...

What is everyone's thoughts? should I persevere and keep at the uni knot?

Cheers,

Chris

I use a half blood knot in all my mono including heavy and find it ties well. I test break all my knots at home over and over. Always use a minimum of 6 turns. I find even with heavy mono you still need 6 turns or more or it may slip. The bigger the diameter of whatever your tieing around the more chance of slip and the more turns you need.

Edited by Roylo

I use a half blood knot in all my mono including heavy and find it ties well. Always use a minimum of 6 turns. I find even with heavy mono you still need 6 turns or more or it may slip.

Hi Roylo, now i interesting. I usually use half blood knot for thiny lines, but i can`t do it thick, 1-2mm lines, sometimes is it hard do it even 0.60mm line, if i want make 5 round. I usually use minimum 5 round, but i can`t do it thick line.

How you made 6 turns thick line and still can tight it? I want know your "trick" :biggrin2:

Usuallu when i try do that, i cant tight it anymore after 3 turns.

Cheers Jani

Hi Roylo, now i interesting. I usually use half blood knot for thiny lines, but i can`t do it thick, 1-2mm lines, sometimes is it hard do it even 0.60mm line, if i want make 5 round. I usually use minimum 5 round, but i can`t do it thick line.

How you made 6 turns thick line and still can tight it? I want know your "trick" :biggrin2:

Cheers Jani

I think with the half blood its how you get your turns....

I hold the hook and twist rather than manually wind the knot like some ppl do, then I i pull the loose end through the bottom loop whilst pinching my twists and pull tight....easy for me to say harder for you all to understand based on what I have said.

Its the only knot I use though I am a fan of the snell and its shock resisting capabilities

Cheers Jani

Hi. My trick? Haha. Wet the line of course and pull it down hard holding the hook with pliers or hooking onto something soild and cranking the knot down that way. It matters what size diameter your tieing around also. If its too thin then you will have trouble pulling up the knot. Usually the bigger the line you use the bigger the tackle anyway.

The original guy asked about 70lb line and a blood knot with 6 turns should be easily doable. Ive tied up to 1.0mm thick without any trouble. I havent really tried anything thicker than that but it still might work.