Silver medal while Jew hunting

Gatte

Hey raiders!

I think this is my first report, so here goes. Headed out to narara creek on the central coast on a fellow raiders recommendation (will respectfully not go into detail as it's a personal favorite of his). The plan was to get after my first Jew with some soft plastics and a set line with some mullet fillet. Got my set line out and on my first cast around some structure with the 3" grub minnow I got hit! Sadly didn't manage the hook up, and whatever it was was no jew, but a few more casts delivered. A perfect bait size Tailor had sacrificed himself as Jew bait! :)

Waited a little while for slack water before putting a hook in him and tried catching a few more for the future. Same story, a few more bites, some hooks up but getting the spat out when the buggers took to the air.

I kept up the casts and a keen eye on the set rod. Went with a slower retrieve on the sp and suddenly the rod keeled over! ;)

Adrenaline pumping and hoping that this was going to be it! A great fight on some light gear before the fish broke the surface. Not the jewie I had my heart set on but a 64cm flat head came out instead.

I'd settle for a fish like that any day so I still left with a smile on my face even though nothing took off with the tailor on the set line.

Hope it's a great weekend fishing for you all!

Gatts

u2epysy2.jpg

amagyzu8.jpg

Now that's what is known as GOOD bycatch!

As the Aussie Olympic team has recently realised, GOLD ain't that easy and may take years to land!!

(I'm still hunting for that elusive big Jewie...)

Nothing wrong with a big fat flattie as second prize...

Well done Gatts!!

Well done mate! Lovely fish! Shame nothing took the tailor because you know it would be decent if it did! Got my best jew on a live tailor a few months ago... I don't know why but late arvo low tide when the water warms up seems to be gun for jew/big fish on live tailor. You'l get some 70+ flatties on the tailor too! Keep at it and you'll get your jew!

Cheers, Tom

hey mate,

great flatty on the plastics, pity bout the jews though, keep at it. one more thing just be aware that tailor still have to be 30cm to be used as live bait (ie legal size). sorry for being a bumhole bout it, but rules are rules. perhaps try yellowtail or mullet bout 6 inches long.

mick