Which 2 stroke oil

skelly22

Hi All, I am about to buy some oil and see that you can get two 4L of GW for $40 which seems a good deal for my 130 yamaha. However, is this stuff any good? Anybody have any technical reasons why? And if its crap, what do you recommend brand wise.

Thanks

Shane.

Edited by skelly22

Mate I also have a 130hp yamaha and used various 2 stroke oils with it. I have found that the Yamalube Oil (by Yamaha) is the best. You do pay a little more fore it but all the other oils I have used make the motor very smokey and when trawling for any length of time the exhaust fumes give you a headache. I dont seem to have this problem when I run it on Yamalube oil. The Yamaha handbook does also suggest that Yamaha oils are the best and should be used, which is no surprise.

In saying this I have never used Gulf Western oil.

Nathan

gulf western is just your standard marine 2 stroke oil tcw3,will do the job but as said a bit smokey and fumey,if want the best for your motor you could try a semi synthetic oil like xd 100.Huey (site sponsor)used to sell by bulk at a raider price ,drop him a line and I am sure he will put you in the right direction cheers dunc333.

Mate I also have a 130hp yamaha and used various 2 stroke oils with it. I have found that the Yamalube Oil (by Yamaha) is the best. Nathan

I have a 70hp & found the same thing. I had a Tohatsu previously & used Valvoline 2 stroke oil. No problems.

Tried it on the Yammie & there were issues so changed back to Yamalube.

The XD 50 or 100 I think would be OK & worth a try if you want to reduce the smoke but it's more expensive than Yamalube.

Geoff

I have a 70hp & found the same thing. I had a Tohatsu previously & used Valvoline 2 stroke oil. No problems.

Tried it on the Yammie & there were issues so changed back to Yamalube.

The XD 50 or 100 I think would be OK & worth a try if you want to reduce the smoke but it's more expensive than Yamalube.

Geoff

Guys, thanks for all your replies. I picked up 10L of it (GW) a couple of days ago. I think I will give it a shot to see how it performs, and switch back to the yamalube (which the previous owner used) if i can get it in Coffs Harbour. I did a quick ring around and haven't found anyone who stocks it yet!!

tight lines

Shane

Dont forget yamaha dont make yammylube

They get some one else to make it and just stick there label on it

I was under the impression that castrol are the ones that make yammylube

Ive got a 130hp yammy and i made the switch from yammylube to castrol and there has been no issues

Just more money in the bank

Edited by Framedtrash

Dont forget yamaha dont make yammylube

They get some one else to make it and just stick there label on it

I was under the impression that castrol are the ones that make yammylube

Ive got a 130hp yammy and i made the switch from yammylube to castrol and there has been no issues

Just more money in the bank

cheers Framedtrash! il try that when i get through my GW!

I have tried Penrite and found it to be smokey - especially when engine was cold - and the plugs come out looking a bit black. I have been using Quicksilver Premium Plus2-Cycle Outboard Oil TC-W3... its pricey but makes my Merc 200EFI run clean and smooth.