Soft plastic help.

clemsy

Hi guys,

I caught my first bream on a soft plastic today (finally after 6 months!!), and the plastic that did the damage was a squidgy wriggler. Report will be up soon, once I get pictures uploaded!!

Now to my question, I noticed the wriggler, on the drop had a good flutter of the tail, it was the smallest wriggler (forgot what size) and I used a 1/32 jighead.

However, the damiki d grub didn't have much of a flutter on the way down, is it cause I rigged it wrong or the jighead wasn't heavy enough for it to cause any action?

The d grub was bigger than the wriggler, would bream still take plastics of 3 inches?

I am land based.

Thanks guys!

Hi guys,

I caught my first bream on a soft plastic today (finally after 6 months!!), and the plastic that did the damage was a squidgy wriggler. Report will be up soon, once I get pictures uploaded!!

Now to my question, I noticed the wriggler, on the drop had a good flutter of the tail, it was the smallest wriggler (forgot what size) and I used a 1/32 jighead.

However, the damiki d grub didn't have much of a flutter on the way down, is it cause I rigged it wrong or the jighead wasn't heavy enough for it to cause any action?

The d grub was bigger than the wriggler, would bream still take plastics of 3 inches?

I am land based.

Thanks guys!

Wriggler has a much more sensitive tail the the grub so even with a lighter jig head it will flutter and yes 3 inch lures still catch bream.

Try the gulps 2 inch grubs in pumpkin seed or 2 inch baby shrimp in new penny and 3 inch minnow in nuclear chicken.

Big fan of gulps when it comes to bream

Wrigglers because of the fine tail work well on light jigheads as it doesnt take much movement to get the tail moving D grubs need at least a 1/16th jighead to get the tail moving on the drop

Plenty of bream get caught on 3in or bigger SPs such as 80mm and 100mm wrigglers 3in bassminnows and 3in gulp minnows

Have a look at the Z-man 2.5" grubs in either bloodworm or watermelon red. The Pumpkinseed 3" gulp minnow is a favourite of mine on bream, trevally, flathead and the odd whiting. 3" is certainly not too big! I caught a 38cm bream on a 5" Jerkshad once. Hooked in the corner of the jaw so definitely attempting to eat it! Much better of using 2-3" though.. 100mm wrigglers will catch the bigger bream i find!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for all the quick feedback guys! That's good news that the 3" plastics work, I seem to have an abundance of them, especially the minnows haha!

Just another question, will the heavier jighead on a grub and the quicker sink rate turn the bream off? Is it really all about finesse?

Cheers

Thanks for all the quick feedback guys! That's good news that the 3" plastics work, I seem to have an abundance of them, especially the minnows haha!

Just another question, will the heavier jighead on a grub and the quicker sink rate turn the bream off? Is it really all about finesse?

Cheers

Generally with bream, yes!

Depth of water, current and casting distance all come into play.

Also the diameter of the braid is important (the thinner it is the less impact on action).

For bream I would use 1/32 - 1/16 - 1/8 oz, flatties 1/6 - 1/4 - 3/8 oz, then 3/8 and above out in deeper waters (snapper, kings, etc).

But as the others have said, the size of the SP definately has an effect on the action.

And also what that bream feels like on the day!

1/16th wont spook a bream unless its the middle of a bright sunny day with no wind and shallow water then anything will spook them

Try a 1/8th jighead on the 3in sps as your landbased and cast it as far as you can and hop it all the way back to you with plenty of pauses that could get you some fish

• 5 years later...