Getting rid of old fuel

Nippers

Hey raiders need to get rid of some old fuel that's been sitting in the tank thru winter. Any suggestions on how to go about this or where's the best place to do it? Might be a silly question but only a rookie when it comes to owning a boat

Mat I use an old oil container or some sort of a old can and keep it as it comes in handy to use when you are cleaning and re packing your wheel bearings..Which by the way if your boat has been sitting all winter I would be doing before you take her out next..

Strip your hubs and clean out all the old grease then re pack them, and the hubs with new grease... :thumbup:

If it's straight unleaded petrol, then you could mix a little bit in with a near full tank of petrol in your car till it's all gone. Alternatively, mix it with old oil and dispose of it as per your local councils suggestion. Or use it as a solvent to remove oil and grease if you maintain your own equipment.

Cheers,

Nursie

Hey raiders need to get rid of some old fuel that's been sitting in the tank thru winter. Any suggestions on how to go about this or where's the best place to do it? Might be a silly question but only a rookie when it comes to owning a boat

I hear ya mate, I've got half a tank of 2 stroke fuel I don't know how to get rid of.

Fishingphase

I hear ya mate, I've got half a tank of 2 stroke fuel I don't know how to get rid of.

Fishingphase

my local mechanic will take it in his oil dump, but then i do get my wifes car serviced there

i dont get why people will ut old fuel in their expensive cars but not run it through their old carbed outboards

false economy

as long as it burns no issue, just dont ring its neck and risk the issues of pinging due to low octane of old fuel

Guest Aussie007

i wouldnt use it in my boat or car i have nearlly a full tank sitting in the shed i need to get rid of as well its about 5-6 weeks old i wont use anything after 4-5 weeks been thinking about getting a bottle of the fuel stabil as im just wasting so much fuel now i own a 4 stroke

Guest Aussie007

I went out on the weekend with 3 month old unmixed fuel

the life of old premix is considerably less then fuel with no oil in it

i just didnt run at wot no issues it ran fine

i ran my car on some 4 week of standard unleaded fuel it ran like crap pinging like crazy thats why i replace the fuel and wont use it works ok in the lawn mower and whipper snipper there only cheap if they blow up lol but an outboard cost a fortune to rebuild especially a 4 stroke so fresh fuel is a cheap preventive

I like to empty out the old (about 6 weeks plus) fuel from my boat after winter and I can't afford to throw it so it goes into the car and mixes with fresh fuel.

If the boat breaks down I could be in the middle of the ocean caught in a storm with my and others' lives in danger. If the car breaks down I can pull over and call NRMA or walk.

Besides, the car is getting flushed out every week. Plus the boat is a want, the car a need so if the car costs money the wife can't complain.

Guest Aussie007

Top the tank up with premium to bring the octane rating back up and go for a run, burning fuel in a boat is easy or if unmixed in the car.

i dont see how adding fresh fuel is going to bring the octain raiting up enough to normal fuel octain when your just adding in fresh fuel u might get away with it on a quater of a tank but not 50/50 or more i reckon

I like to empty out the old (about 6 weeks plus) fuel from my boat after winter and I can't afford to throw it so it goes into the car and mixes with fresh fuel.

If the boat breaks down I could be in the middle of the ocean caught in a storm with my and others' lives in danger. If the car breaks down I can pull over and call NRMA or walk.

Besides, the car is getting flushed out every week. Plus the boat is a want, the car a need so if the car costs money the wife can't complain.

yup i agree fresh fuel is a cheap safety measure

some might get away with old fuel others might be 5k's out than run out of luck and swear and carry on "i should have changed the fuel it would have only been an extra $50 :ranting2: " lol we all run risk but when your boat breaks down its a pain in the ass and i have been there rowing a couple of Km's and its not fun at all :biggrin2:

Guest Aussie007

i have never used fuel stabil but i seen on ifish one weeked if u add the correct amount your fuel is good for 1 year if u add double the amount its good for 2 years :thumbup: $15 a bottle well worth it for guys with large tanks or moored boats

I think it also depends on how your boat ie fuel is stored. When it's exposed to higher tempreture fluctuations it is going to last a lesser length of time. Mine's stored int he garage so it's not in the sun and the tempreture remains some what more stable than not being stored in the garage. I'm sure there are other factors as well.

The other reason I like to drain the tank once a year is incase water is sitting in my tank this help to get rid of it. Water can build up from condensation, leaking fuel cap (when hosing) etc.

So personally I think it is a great idea.

dont second guess call bp or shell direct they will answer your questions

new fuel does not blend 100% with old fuel, you cannot replace the volitile compounds which evaporate in a vented system

i still wouldnt put it in a car, even more so if premixed

and a outboard is just a flash lawnmower gaz :)

Guest Aussie007

Hmmmm a pretty volatile degreaser.. Wouldnt want a spark on anything you were cleaning ;)

yeah i wouldnt use it on a car i would use it for cleaning engines im disassembling