Is this a senator wrasse?

Kirst1583

Question

16 answers to this question

More than happy to be wrong but I would call it a Senator Wrasse.

Here's a quote from the Australian Museum.

The Senator Wrasse changes colour and pattern with growth. Terminal phase males are usually green with a red to purple 'forked' stripe on the side of the body. Initial phase fish are usually reddish to brown with a row of diffuse black spots along the back and faint bars on the lower sides. Juveniles are light red-brown to greenish with pale spots.

More than happy to be wrong but I would call it a Senator Wrasse.

Here's a quote from the Australian Museum.

The Senator Wrasse changes colour and pattern with growth. Terminal phase males are usually green with a red to purple 'forked' stripe on the side of the body. Initial phase fish are usually reddish to brown with a row of diffuse black spots along the back and faint bars on the lower sides. Juveniles are light red-brown to greenish with pale spots.

Thanks.. That's where I got my initial info from also. Just curious now because of the vertical stripes. It was quite vibrant looking.. The stripes were more red (rather than the brown the photo shows) from memory

Go to 'Google' and look at the pictures for Senator Wrasse, they look different to your photo.

Most look different, but some are very similar. I thought perhaps it were a juvenile or something.. But yeah, having only started fishing just over a year ago I have no idea!

With a photo book, you can always correct the species name later if you are not sure at first.

My early fishing photos have disappeared over time, though I have written records from 1968. It gives me a record of what catches have been like since I started fishing, and how numbers have increased/decreased over that time.

By keeping photographic records (cameras are more sophisticated these days than the photographic film ones I used) you will have a better record to view over the years.

Good luck with your fishing exploits.

With a photo book, you can always correct the species name later if you are not sure at first.

My early fishing photos have disappeared over time, though I have written records from 1968. It gives me a record of what catches have been like since I started fishing, and how numbers have increased/decreased over that time.

By keeping photographic records (cameras are more sophisticated these days than the photographic film ones I used) you will have a better record to view over the years.

Good luck with your fishing exploits.

Quite true that ;) ill just pencil it in for now and correct it later if need be!

It's only for my personal use anyway.. Just so I can see all my catches in one place.

That's so awesome you've kept a record over all those years.

Very true about the cameras these days making it easier... I've got some we managed to lose though :( shits me! I'm hoping the memory card shows up eventually.. It was nothing spectacular but did have my 1st ever flattie on it

I caught one of these about a week ago near Lilly Pilly just the other week,

I knew it was a wrasse but not to sure what type. It'll be nice to find out what type of wrasse it is.

Looked like it would be really pretty in an aquarium. Mine was released

:)

post-21270-056366800 1349828381_thumb.jpg

I caught one of these about a week ago near Lilly Pilly just the other week,

I knew it was a wrasse but not to sure what type. It'll be nice to find out what type of wrasse it is.

Looked like it would be really pretty in an aquarium. Mine was released

:)

post-21270-056366800 1349828381_thumb.jpg

Yep, definitely the same! It was really pretty.. So vibrant. The photos do them no justice at all. Mine went bak also.. All my fish do though lol

If you search google you will find that it's a Gunther's wrasse.

Quote"

Gunther's Wrasse, Pseudolabrus guentheri Bleeker, 1862

Gunther's Wrasse is best recognised by the orange-brown lines on its head. It is commonly seen on coastal and estuarine reefs.

"Unquote

So true. They look so colourful. Did you notice the teeth on them to, looked so weird for such a pretty fish.

What was the size if the one you caught? Mine was about 15cm - 18cm

I'll try do a bit more research on it.

Mine was probably around the same size.. Although I caught it only a couple of months after I started fishing (which was when I was too scared to touch the fish, let alone take it off the hook lol).. How times have changed now though! I only noticed the teeth after when I was looking at the photos

If you search google you will find that it's a Gunther's wrasse.

Quote"

Gunther's Wrasse, Pseudolabrus guentheri Bleeker, 1862

Gunther's Wrasse is best recognised by the orange-brown lines on its head. It is commonly seen on coastal and estuarine reefs.

"Unquote

Thanks heaps :) that looks much more like it