Opening weekend ACT

Centrepin

ACT on Opening Weekend

I don’t normally fish opening weekend. Other than spawn run stream fishing is generally inconsistent at best. Rivers are high and not very inspiring.

As we had had so little rain leading up to this weekend I surmised the rivers would be low and perhaps worth a shot. I was wrong on this count. The Goodradigbee was running a banker.

It was snowing in the Brindabellas Saturday and 1 degree.

post-10909-016273700 1349255915_thumb.jpg

I had previously made some reckys into the Cotter but never fished it. Now was the time to broaden horizons. The weather Saturday was much better in the valley a balmy 8 degrees and only blowing a light gale. The river was flowing high and clear. Worked out an access point for Sunday’s fishing.

Weather Sunday was much the same, slightly less wind, snow up high, overcast and same temp. Evi could not be coerced into fishing. She decided to send out a scouting party and save herself for when the fishing was sussed out and if not sussed out then save herself even more.

I was about to blunder into the water at the crossing and counselled myself to look first. There were 2 rainbows side by side in the tail. It was impossible to get a cast to them and managed to spook them into the run above. As the river was high I elected for the double nymph rig. Size 12 bead-head and 14 black would get down to them. About 5 casts caught a lovely rainbow in the previously mentioned run. It was a good start to the day and season.

post-10909-017494200 1349256017_thumb.jpg

As often happens with early success it was the only success for a while. I fished for perhaps 6 runs and no sign. There was some deep water and I lengthened my leader and fished very carefully for nothing.

The next run was just so fishy but still nothing. Towards the head of the run an amazing thing happened. A good rainbow came to the surface and swallowed the strike indicator. Not just a nibble but engulfed it. I fell over in amazement, the fish stayed attached for ages but thankfully came off. This of course caused a complete change of plans. On went the dry and a size 14 bead-head nymph ½ meter below. This started a succession of fish in this run, all rainbows 30 -35 cm, that fought very well and great fun.

post-10909-090275400 1349256068_thumb.jpg

I was getting to the head of the run when a larger fish came to the party.

post-10909-012364500 1349256110_thumb.jpg

This brownie was about 3.5lbs and would be 4 in good nick.

post-10909-058791700 1349256137_thumb.jpg

Things couldn’t get any better so I quit on this high note.

After seeing the photos and Monday dawning warm still and no cloud Evi decided to join me. Sure enough there were 2 rainbows in the same spot and Evi took about 3 casts to hook up. This fish bore an extraordinary resemblance to the one the day before. Evi was stoked.

post-10909-061086900 1349256182_thumb.jpg

post-10909-094229100 1349256219_thumb.jpg

We decided to give the runs a miss I caught nothing in the day before and went straight to the “honey run”. It was not disappointing but I was. After missing, losing, pulling out of three fish it was Evi’s turn. 5 casts later she had another take and another fish.

post-10909-034694000 1349256261_thumb.jpg

post-10909-039608500 1349256332_thumb.jpg

I persisted and finally snagged one in the head.

post-10909-019864000 1349256379_thumb.jpg

No other Browns and nothing came up to the dry.

We continued on for another ½ hour for no sign of another fish and called it a day feeling satisfied.

So while the fishing sounds good, and it was, without those 2 productive runs we would have been skunked.

I have no idea if the Brown was a once in a lifetime or a regular event. If it was the later it will see a lot more of us.

As for the wayward rainbow that took the strike indictor I wish it well and look forward to warmer times when we can reacquaint it with dries.

Evi and Geoff

Great report Geoff, and a cracking Brown, top fish for those rivers. Haven't fished the Goodradigbee in years and never even looked at the Cotter.

Got meitching to explore that river :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy