Nepean bass.

My friend and I have been having a bit of a hard slog with things recently, I have taken him out fishing 3 times and each time I have been catching the fish and he has been left with a big fat donut. I felt bad for him, it is disappointing going fishing and watching everyone catch fish around you whilst you don't even get a hit. It is quite discouraging.

Today I was determined to get him onto some fish and what better freshwater fish this side of the mountain than the good ol' bass. It had been a long time since I had looked a bass in the eye and I was confident that I could get my mate in the zone. I started on these fish way back in the day and know where to look and when for some results and today I was right on the money. I found a nice secluded place down river of Yarramundi and told my buddy what to do. It consisted of casting at snags, pauses, tweaks, and floating downstream with the best lure I could think of for him (a small kokoda black bat cicada) that he could work without too much effort as a novice fisho. I put on my little Presso cicada and set to business mode. Next thing you know I start pulling in bass after bass, 2 were consecutive casts. I found the right spot but my mate was yet to get a bite. I thought to myself oh no not again... I am going to get him onto a bass. SO after bringing in 4 bass on my cicada pencil I tell him to take my rod and do exactly what I was doing whilst I had a go with the bat. You wouldn't read of it, my first cast with the bat and I am on, :ranting2: I can't bloody believe it.

What I did notice though was that the bass were liking the constant retrieve so I thought I'd give it another cast or two with a constant retrieve. Second cast I am on again. SO now I have officially nutted it out. I tell him to take the bat back, stand where I was, cast where I cast and use a slow constant retrieve. So he follows my advice and throws it out, brings it back, nothing, throws it again, brings it back, nothing. Now I am getting a bit frustrated at the bloody fish :1badmood: but my friend persists. He is retrieving his next cast when a little bass just absolutely slammed his bat. I see the rod bend, the smile appear on his face and I couldn't help but let out a big "woohoooooo!" :yahoo: . He got onto his first fish with me and it was one of our fine natives which I love so much. I kept going with the presso from that point as he had the bat action down pat and I wanted him to get more. He ended up getting 3 bass and managed the biggest of the session at 24cm. Some of the little guys were almost as small as the lure but to be honest I was just there for a bit of fun and to get my mate some fish so it was all worth it.

I ended up catching 8 or 9 fish with the biggest going about 20cm so even though I got the quantity my novice buddy won with the best fish. I am glad he did too because on the way back to the car he told me that before he got onto them he was about to give it up saying that fishing just wasn't for him as he couldn't catch any. I think though that those 3 bass he caught today had little fishing bugs in them that bit him as he is keen to give it another go. I claim success! :thumbup:

I will load up a piccy of his bass tomorrow when I get it off his phone.

P.S All fish were released for re-catching another day. :biggrin2:

Edited by Jew Stalker

Nice report Luc and good onya for persisting with ur mate, but that's the kind of guy u r. Keep posting and we'll all follow ur exploits. Cheers, Neil.

Cheers Neil :) It was alot of fun and worth it with the fish.

Edited by Jew Stalker

About where you usually fishing on Nepean river?

When i was there 3 years a go, i try shore fishing both side Emu Plains bridge, but there was so much grass that not any change get fish. Every cast i did get half kilo greengrass :1wallbash: . So not get bass that time, one mere good reason come again :flying:

Nice Bass there mate!Good on ya for helping ya mate out i bet you felt just as good getting ya mate amongst them.Tight lines,Stan

Honestly Stan, watching him get that fish felt much better than it felt getting onto them myself. I need someone to go fishing with to keep me company so I am passing on my knowledge to him and trying to get him interested. He was keen but was getting a bit down about not catching any and to see him light up when he got onto some and had a few tussels with the bass felt amazing. :)

About where you usually fishing on Nepean river?When i was there 3 years a go, i try shore fishing both side Emu Plains bridge, but there was so much grass that not any change get fish. Every cast i did get half kilo greengrass :1wallbash: . So not get bass that time, one mere good reason come again :flying:

Hi Jani, I was at Yarramundi. I just parked the car in the parking lot and walked down the river until I found a particularly good fishy looking area with a few snags popping up in the water with a small amount of current. I don't generally fish the nepean up around Penrith, I gets hammered and the fish are onto it. Only little guys ever get caught there.