Towra Saturday 6th October

pmak

Hi fellow Raiders,

After a long hiatus over winter and a recent trip overseas, the boys and I finally got back to the bay last Saturday morning. The new ramp at Kurnell was great and allowed us to keep our feet dry after many years of launching off the beach.

I was watching a programme on television a while back showing how weather reports nowadays are getting more accurate due to real-time data from weather stations all over the country. The forecast was for cloudy conditions with rain later in the afternoon. It was cloudy alright but someone didn't tell the clouds they were not supposed to rain until later!!After moving around a little, I finally got a decent hookup and pulled in this 64cm flathead which is 1cm better than my previous PB! After a few happy snaps and a Facebook update, she was sent swimming back to her hidey hole.

post-3388-070183700 1349697987_thumb.jpg

Things went quiet for quite a while after that. Plenty of snook kept us entertained but were costing us dearly with biteoffs and damaged plastics. We found patches of just legal trevally around but no big ones. Eldest son takes his usual nap in the boat while my youngest perseveres with cast after cast but is getting tired of catching snook. The intermittent rain was also making conditions miserable.

I start hearing requests to head home but made the call to move up the Towra flats as we were dead on the top of the tide. It was a good call as the bigger fish were right up the shallows. I started the account with this early 40s trevally.

post-3388-034894900 1349698050_thumb.jpg

Eldest son now awake starts fishing with more commitment and snares his first trevally of the day.

post-3388-000960200 1349698074_thumb.jpg

Youngest son tries and tries and finally lands a keeper!

post-3388-075441800 1349698034_thumb.jpg

Eldest son outdoes us again and lands the biggest trevally of the day at 45cm.

post-3388-008489200 1349698091_thumb.jpg

It was a great session which started off with promise, panned out slow but finished up with a hot bite. We also got a tailor and a mid 30s bream in the mix and about half a dozen decent sized trevally. We kept some for the table and released the rest to grow bigger for us to catch next time.

We had just returned from Malaysia where we spent a few weeks in hospital visiting my Dad who eventually passed away. Spending time together with the boys while enjoying fishing was a great way to reinvigorate our spirits and a great way to remember my Dad who was such a great influence on me. It was nearly a year ago that I took him to the same waters where we had a few great fishing sessions which I had posted on Fishraider too. So this trip and report is for him as he watches over us from the heavens.

post-3388-095186700 1349698101_thumb.jpg

Rest in peace Dad ...

Pete,

So sorry to hear about your dad passing away :( our condolences to you and your family.

Its great that your boys can be with you on your specials days out fishing.

Regards Stewy

Great report and your dad will be proud of all of his boys, makes us all realise to appreciate family and it looks like you have a good set of sons! Like father like son you are a lucky man!

Hi fellow Raiders,

After a long hiatus over winter and a recent trip overseas, the boys and I finally got back to the bay last Saturday morning. The new ramp at Kurnell was great and allowed us to keep our feet dry after many years of launching off the beach.

I was watching a programme on television a while back showing how weather reports nowadays are getting more accurate due to real-time data from weather stations all over the country. The forecast was for cloudy conditions with rain later in the afternoon. It was cloudy alright but someone didn't tell the clouds they were not supposed to rain until later!!After moving around a little, I finally got a decent hookup and pulled in this 64cm flathead which is 1cm better than my previous PB! After a few happy snaps and a Facebook update, she was sent swimming back to her hidey hole.

post-3388-070183700 1349697987_thumb.jpg

Things went quiet for quite a while after that. Plenty of snook kept us entertained but were costing us dearly with biteoffs and damaged plastics. We found patches of just legal trevally around but no big ones. Eldest son takes his usual nap in the boat while my youngest perseveres with cast after cast but is getting tired of catching snook. The intermittent rain was also making conditions miserable.

I start hearing requests to head home but made the call to move up the Towra flats as we were dead on the top of the tide. It was a good call as the bigger fish were right up the shallows. I started the account with this early 40s trevally.

post-3388-034894900 1349698050_thumb.jpg

Eldest son now awake starts fishing with more commitment and snares his first trevally of the day.

post-3388-000960200 1349698074_thumb.jpg

Youngest son tries and tries and finally lands a keeper!

post-3388-075441800 1349698034_thumb.jpg

Eldest son outdoes us again and lands the biggest trevally of the day at 45cm.

post-3388-008489200 1349698091_thumb.jpg

It was a great session which started off with promise, panned out slow but finished up with a hot bite. We also got a tailor and a mid 30s bream in the mix and about half a dozen decent sized trevally. We kept some for the table and released the rest to grow bigger for us to catch next time.

We had just returned from Malaysia where we spent a few weeks in hospital visiting my Dad who eventually passed away. Spending time together with the boys while enjoying fishing was a great way to reinvigorate our spirits and a great way to remember my Dad who was such a great influence on me. It was nearly a year ago that I took him to the same waters where we had a few great fishing sessions which I had posted on Fishraider too. So this trip and report is for him as he watches over us from the heavens.

post-3388-095186700 1349698101_thumb.jpg

Rest in peace Dad ...

Nice report & some great memories

Memories last a lifetime

Remember the good times

Well done.

Thanks for all the kind words fellow Raiders.

Our loss is a personal thing which hesitated posting. But our love for fishing invariably leads us to share our stories, common goals, ups and downs with like minded people and the Fishraider community is one where I'm comfortable enough to do this. To me, fishing is a pursuit that allows us to connect to nature and each other on so many levels and it's a passion that I hope will be passed on to the next generation. So thanks for sharing guys.

Tight lines everyone!!

Condolences to your family on the passing of your father. It's great to see you and the boys paying a tribute to him and I'm sure that he will be fondly remembered as you and the boys continue to enjoy future fishing experiences!

You are passing on the values of fishing that your father taught you to your sons (patience, respect for the environment & family) there would be less social problems if there were more parents like us fishos.