Trim Additions To Motors

bluebottle

Hi, Has anyone used or added a permatrim or similar to an outboard to help give a tighter turning circle without cavitating. I have an allycraft 435 intruder with Johnson 50Hp 2S that pops my boys out for wakeboarding but really gives me a hard time turning over 3000 rpm. Any suggestions

Edited by bluebottle

Guest Jocool
:1welcomeani: to the site Bluey. The only foils I have put on an outboard was to help it get up easier. It worked for that, but I don't rightly recall if it improved the handling ability of the boat.

Guest hottuna

fitted a permatrim to a 455 poly with 50hp 4s , it made a hguge difference to handleing and planning. Love em, also fitted one to my allison which made a huge diff also.

dan

Hi bluebottle,

I have fitted Permatrims to a 25hp 2stroke and a 40hp 4stroke ... they will help to keep water over the prop.

That said, I would try changing the height/trim/prop before drilling holes in your outboard :biggrin2:

Bluebottle Just something to keep in mind if using the "wing" style foils.

I recall reading a post from a guy who nearly flipped his boat over & at the particular moment actually lost a peson overboard. Fortunatly no one was hurt.

After much discussion & evaluation the verdict was , when turning the boat the wing actually dug in & worked in reverse , pulling the low side down. :1yikes::1yikes:

This is not to say it happens on all boats all the time , many would never experience such a situation.

It is just something to be aware of

Regards

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Geoff, That could be a prob that Ive been racking my brains over for a while now,

I run the wing type, and if moving along at say 10-15 knots, If a 'BIG' bloke moves to one side of the boat sometimes it can really roll over. Ive allways been susspect at the wings, as my mechanical mind tells me that, Under the right trim, And the boat forced to a tilt by an individual on board, That wing can act as a sail and keep the boat tilted for longer than normal(or tilt quiker than normal). This with prop torc could increase the effect.

Im taking the bloody things off and give it a test :hitsfan:

NB, My brother in law weighs 130kgs, So that could have somthing to do with it :1naughty:

Mick

I was thinking of getting somekind of a foil or permatrim a few months ago when I serviced my outboard. I'm still saving up to buy one of these, I would most probably go with the permatrim

IMHO the wing style will flex under pressure especially if it's made out of some plastic piece. If it's 2 piece it will flex even more :thumbdown:

The permatrim is a one piece alloy which won't flex as easy under pressure.

cheers,

Mario

Guest Jocool

Can anyone advise why the outboard companies dont reccomend wings/foils?

Thanks

MH

58673[/snapback]

Its to do with metal fatigue in the casing of the box and around the cav plates. It also has to do with overloading the gearbox. Thats the story I got from Tohatsu when I asked them.

I have the Se sports brand on my boat I did notice alower speed of plaining and better fuel economy I have had no regrets

58595[/snapback]

Thanks for the responses again, your boat wetpatch is very similar to mine so it looks like the go. Very impressed as a new member for all the help, love the site.Thanks again

Guest Jocool

Just another point to remember...My boat builder said that if you want to put a wing on...make sure its a one piece such as the SE Sport or Permatrim.

Permatrims may be a bit dearer, but they are sturdier and can cope with the weight of someone using it as a step!

Just another point to remember...My boat builder said that if you want to put a wing on...make sure its a one piece such as the SE Sport or Permatrim.

Permatrims may be a bit dearer, but they are sturdier and can cope with the weight of someone using it as a step!

58724[/snapback]

Thanks Jo have got the same impression from the feedback and info read on these little buggers, also checked out quite a few on back of boats when in Yamba 2 weeks ago, they are very popular there