70hp 2 Stroke On A 475 Centre Console

Tim

Hi guys

Sorry for all the questions here. I'm just wondering about the versatility of a 70hp motor on an aluminium 475 centre console. I know going quick won't be a problem, but how about slow trolling dead baits? Any of you guys have one and can share your experience? At very slow speeds, would a 70 be a bit rough and use lots of fuel?

Also, does a 70hp motor use much more fuel than a 60hp?

I saw a boat on the weekend that is so close to being perfect for me, but I'm concerned that it might be a bit overpowered.

Cheers

Tim

Guest Jocool

I run a 60 HP Tohatsu on my boat. It is exactly the same motor as the 70 HP. The only difference is that the 60 has a resrictor plate, and the timing is de-tuned. In essence, what that means, is that if I remove the restrictor plate under the carby I can attain a higher power. Therefore I would use no extra fuel in the lower rev ranges.

Depending on current and wind, the slowest I have been able to tow a livie is about 3 knots showing on my sounder. Not sure how accurate that is, but it's fairly close.

I run a 60 HP Tohatsu on my boat. It is exactly the same motor as the 70 HP. The only difference is that the 60 has a resrictor plate, and the timing is de-tuned. In essence, what that means, is that if I remove the restrictor plate under the carby I can attain a higher power. Therefore I would use no extra fuel in the lower rev ranges.

Depending on current and wind, the slowest I have been able to tow a livie is about 3 knots showing on my sounder. Not sure how accurate that is, but it's fairly close.

58380[/snapback]

Thanks Jo

How does it go on fuel? The bloke selling this boat claims that he will do a fair bit of running around botany bay in a day and would only use about 25 litres of fuel. How much fuel would you usually burn on an 'average' day and how far would you go?

Guest Jocool
Thanks Jo

How does it go on fuel? 

58383[/snapback]

Thats a hard call..... :wacko: I don't do a huge amount of trolling, but a full day for me which may included a few runs to different parts of the Harbour as well as a bit of trolling around headlands, would see me burn about 10-15 litres of fuel. The biggest day I have had on Sydney Harbour saw me chasing Salmon around for hours, with 4 guys aboard, and it was a long day....I used about 35 litres I think. :wacko:

Edited by Jocool

Tim I'm running a 70 2s on a 4.6mt twin hull aluminium boat & an average day which generally dose not inc too much trolling avg 1lt / mile.

Regards

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Thanks guys

They use less fuel than I had imagined. Thanks for your replies.

Just let me know if all these questions start to get annoying... (I'll change my username and start asking them under an alias)

I have a 75 hp Yammie on my 475 Ally its rated to a 80 hp max when Iwas buying it I quoted the boat with a 60 or 50 hp

I have never had a regret having the extra grunt as most times Im only driving at half revs rather than flat stick to stay on the plane and that got to save juice in the long run especially with 2 or 3 big drinking fellas in the vessell :1fishing1:

I run a 70hp st Tohatsu on a 5m cuddy, I get WOT for 40knts. RPM at 5500 aprox.

Averaging it down, I get about 4-5 hours at cruse for 25lt of fuel.

The engine is great, Heaps of mid range punch and that is what I consider the most important .

NB, Ive not a standard Tohy prop, Its a SS job that came with the boat. Not sure of the pitch but its a good thing :biggrin2:

Mick

Tim I have 475 quintrex with 70 Yamaha 2/stroke the hull weighs 440 kg and with a full fuel tank [90L] and it will do 35mph and troll at 600 RPMs all day a little rough at that speed I have no specs on fuel but seems ok ,I think if the boat you are looking at is similar a 60 might be a bit under powered .Hope this has been of some help :1welcomeani::1welcomeani::1welcomeani::biggrin2:

post-571-1121770207_thumb.jpg

Tim I have 475 quintrex with 70 Yamaha 2/stroke the hull weighs 440 kg and with a full fuel tank [90L] and it will do 35mph and troll at 600 RPMs all day a little rough at that speed I have no specs on fuel but seems ok ,I think if the boat you are looking at is similar a 60 might be a bit under powered .Hope this has been of some help  :1welcomeani:  :1welcomeani:  :1welcomeani:  :biggrin2:

58587[/snapback]

Hi Buster

Thanks for your reply. That's a very similar boat to the one I'm looking at. Is yours a millenium hull? How do you like it? Any pros or cons?

Cheers

Tim