Where in Syd is a good spot for leather jacket ?

weekendfisher

Hey Raiders,

I was curious to where in Sydney would be a good spot to chase some leather jackets ?

I am in the hills area so not to far from there would be ideal.

I usually fish Brooklyn or Botany but i don't seem to come across any there.

I would be happy to find a spot either land based or from the boat

Thanks

Yep Clifton gardens wharf produces heaps of leatherjacket, balmoral is also good and careel bay wharf up in Avalon is great with always plenty of leatheries bu might be a bit far away, anyway good luck and I hope I help!!

Taylors Pt Wharf in Pittwater has loads of them... Just fish peeled prawns on a light rig and a small longshank. Burley a bit. By-Catch is trevally, bream, tailor and even just legal snapper. When there's a strong Easterly they occassionally come inside. I have caught half a dozen legals in pittwater (biggest 39cm) with 3 of them caught at taylors pt.

They are a bugger when trying to fish the reef often can't get through them.

If my boat was a bit bigger id head out the the reefs to hunt them :) maybe if there is a calm day i will.

Just like to find a good spot to get them mainly because if there is somewhere calm i can go and take the kids where they will catch fish they will be happy doesn't matter what they catch as long as they are catching they are happy.

I have not explored the Pittwater waterways yet so it might be worth checking out next time i'm taking the boat.

Cheers

Gymea Bay Baths on the shark net has heaps. Small hooks plus small prawn pieces get them.

Also try to burley them up, you tend to get travely, salmon, kings (odd occasion), lots of yellow tails for live bait etc.

Last trip I targeted leather jackets, I got around 8 at the 30 cm mark.