Evinrude 70hp 2 stroke (1997) fuel consumption

DeanFish

It depends a lot on the RPM , eg , you will consume more running at 5000 rpm than running at 3500 - 4000.

Not sure if this is a reasonable comparison but my 2003 70hp 2s Yammie averages

one liter per mile (1.6km) but I rarely go over 4000 rpm.

This is an average over a days outing so includes both time on the plane & moving at lower rev's from on spot to another

Your currently running at 2.9 lt / mile (1.6km) which , at nearly 3 time the consumption , seems excessive

Geoff

Hi, any carby engine of that vintage will be about that fuel burn pushing such a boat thru the water, which is ALOT harder than say a 15 foot tinny. As for compression, it will not affect fuel economy, but if it is not even performance will not be good and I bet you are not set-up or propped right. You want to see around 5600RPM at WOT with normal load and be able to see the AV plate. If you are overpropped and too low your engine is lugging and like driving around with the park brake on.

The simple facts are nothing will improve the fuel consumption because any carby outboard draws the amount of fuel the engine needs thru fixed jets BUT that boat is hard to push thru the water and as I said making sure the basics are right like correct prop and engine height are the first steps to get the best fuel burn.

What plugs do you have because I also bet they are wrong.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

wow $60 to fill up and only get 25km's :1yikes: i fill up $30 and get around 80km's :biggrin2: i have a smaller hp engine and different boat your engine sure is a guzzler

wow $60 to fill up and only get 25km's :1yikes: i fill up $30 and get around 80km's :biggrin2: i have a smaller hp engine and different boat your engine sure is a guzzler

That comment is a total waste of time, a small tinny is going to always be better on fuel than a multi-hull just like a 14 foot cataraman is going to be alot better than a 40 foot multi-hull. As I said any outboard, especially an old tech engine, on a multi-hull boat is going to use alot of fuel becuase multi-hull boats are very hard boats to push thru the water and have alot of wetted area that is friction-simple as that. You take that exact same engine off that hull and rig and prop it correctly on a 15 foot tinny and the fuel usage would be half.

Guest Aussie007

That comment is a total waste of time, a small tinny is going to always be better on fuel than a multi-hull just like a 14 foot cataraman is going to be alot better than a 40 foot multi-hull. As I said any outboard, especially an old tech engine, on a multi-hull boat is going to use alot of fuel becuase multi-hull boats are very hard boats to push thru the water and have alot of wetted area that is friction-simple as that. You take that exact same engine off that hull and rig and prop it correctly on a 15 foot tinny and the fuel usage would be half.

not everyone is going to post comments u like huey? its a discussion forum mate

not everyone is going to post comments u like huey? its a discussion forum mate

Not sure what you mean I did not say I dislike your comment-I said it was a waste of time and is not at all a fair comparsion and yes a Micra uses less fuel than a Patrol, or a Corolla uses less for than a Landcruiser-I could go on all day doing these useless comparsions. Comparing a mono hull tinny to a multi-hull is a total waste of time and to say that engine is a guzzler is totally wrong and it is no better or worse than any engine of its age, it HAS ALL got to with the hull. Yes I understand the principle of a forum mate.

Guest Aussie007

Not sure what you mean I did not say I dislike your comment-I said it was a waste of time and is not at all a fair comparsion and yes a Micra uses less fuel than a Patrol, or a Corolla uses less for than a Landcruiser-I could go on all day doing these useless comparsions. Comparing a mono hull tinny to a multi-hull is a total waste of time and to say that engine is a guzzler is totally wrong and it is no better or worse than any engine of its age, it HAS ALL got to with the hull. Yes I understand the principle of a forum mate.

all good huey :thumbup: do u know how many litres of fuel the 70hp uses max per hour? i just tried looking it up in the workshop manual i have but it doesnt mention it

all good huey :thumbup: do u know how many litres of fuel the 70hp uses max per hour? i just tried looking it up in the workshop manual i have but it doesnt mention it

Hi Gazza, no problems my end either and you will never seen any such info from any outboard manufacturer because it will varying depending on the hull and that is why I replied to your first post. That 70HP, or any 70HP-clean or dirty, will use alot less fuel on a light weight easy to push thru the water hull then compared to a deep vee hull or even worse cat style boat. As a very rough guide a carby engine on such a boat would use close to 60L/hr at WOT but at cruise speed or idle that of course will be alot less. The way a person drives their outboard, again I do not care what brand, will vary fuel usage as will making sure the engine is not too low or overpropped and as I said in my first reply to this gentleman make sure he is seeing the correct WOT RPM and the AV plate is eaisly visible when trimmed correctly-otherwise his fuel economy is going to suffer no matter what brand of outboard any brand of boat has. It is one of the many challenges for the outboard companies, unlike a car company that knows a certain engine is going to go in a certain chassis, an outboard can go on thousands of different hulls that all perform differently so comparing one boat to another boat is a waste of time and making sure any rig is set-up to its optimium is the best way to get the most out of every litre of fuel.

Cheers,

Huey.

PS- lets see what this gentleman gets back to us with in terms of WOT RPM, prop, engine height and what plugs he is running and then we maybe able to improve his performance, not only fuel but speed too.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Hi gents,

I really appreciate the feedback.

im not real mechanical so can i confirm

WOT (assuming that wide open throttle?) = 5800

Engine height = how do I measure this

Prop = evinrude 13.25 x 17R

Plugs = Champion (that's all I can tell you)

I also have a SE sport 300 hydrofoil (not sure if that's the correct terminology) apparently assists the boat to get on the plain quicker?

I appreciate any further advice.

i should have known better when i saw markam .its a twin hull as huey said theres lots more boat to push than a mono hull and if your setup is right,your wot sounds ok ,so if you can take a pic from the back of boat and of the motor height,huey might be able to see if thats all good but as now i know its a twin hull your fuel consumption could be on the money cheers dunc333.

Hi gents,

I really appreciate the feedback.

im not real mechanical so can i confirm

WOT (assuming that wide open throttle?) = 5800

Engine height = how do I measure this

Prop = evinrude 13.25 x 17R

Plugs = Champion (that's all I can tell you)

I also have a SE sport 300 hydrofoil (not sure if that's the correct terminology) apparently assists the boat to get on the plain quicker?

I appreciate any further advice.

Hi, if those RPM are accurate then you are turning high RPM and as a result the engine is revving harder than it needs so fuel burn will go up. Ideal WOT RPM wants to be about 5500-5600RPM for that I-3 and if you switch out to a SST prop performance and fuel economy will improve. You want to be able to see the AV plate clearly when trimmed correctly and any foil will cause the stern to lift and therefore burying the bow making it even harder to push thru the water. As for the plugs see what is stamped on the plug to see if they are correct but at least it is the right brand.

Cheers,

Huey.

can i ask huey what is the biggest hp you can have on this markam 3.5 and if its say 70hp ,as most i have seen have twin engines if the capacity plate says 70hp for example can you have twin 70hp on a twin hull or would you have to have 2- 35hp engines to be legal.?

Edited by dunc333

ok thanks dean that clears that up for me,if you ever upgrade engines try 2 40hp 4strokes as i reckon you would use a shit load less fuel than your using now with 1 engine.

Or two 40HP E-TEC and use even less fuel and be able to plane that boat on one engine which is the whole point of twin rigs. Or repower with a single E-TEC and again use half the fuel and cost ALOT less to buy and maitain than twin 40HP 4-Strokes and would go better too.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Dean Fish. I've seen some Markham's which only have one engine with that engine mounted on the Port side behind the sponson. Is your motor mounted in the center or on the side of the transom.

Also , for interest , the fuel consumption mentioned in my post , 19/11/12 is for a 4.9mt twin hull Aluminium boat.

post-731-059447300 1353812445_thumb.jpg

Before you throw too much cash at the problem I would be taking the boat to Huey to have the height & prop checked along with a full service.

It maybe just a carby adjustment , air filter , fuel pump check to ensure fuel is not leaking directly into the cylinder , timing & a new set of plugs.

Geoff