First carp

pomey_git

Firstly thanks for all the advise and tactics.

I am new to fresh water fishing, but having moved 2 hrs from the sea it has become something of a necessity to learn.

I went down to Lake Burley Griffen for a couple of hrs both days over the weekend to try my hand. Not really knowing a lot about anything I set up a running ledger on my 2 lightest rods, with a 10lb fluoro trace (thanks for the advice on Fluoro.... I’m a convert) and a size 8 hook.

I smooshed up some bread with a drop of vanilla essence and balled it round the hook. And plopped them in at the mouth of Sullivans creek.

Having the bare minimum with me, I used my tackle box as a rod rest and let the drag right off so that anything that grabbed hold could make a run.

I had no idea what I was looking for in a bite, or what to expect.

After about an hour of winging it, and checking bait ect I found out why carp are such a sort after game fish back home!

My Ugly Stick exploded. The slack drag screaming. I grabbed hold and thumbed the drag while I tightened it as much as I dared. I assumed that they have quite soft mouth so I kept it pretty loose just in case.

Long and short...... after about 10mins or so I got my first sight. I couldn’t believe the size of it. I was expecting a large gold fish not a small horse.

Eventually I got it to the shallows, deeply regretting the fact that I don’t own a landing net, and lifted her to safety.

It Turns out they don’t have soft mouths! The hook was a pain to get out. But I got there in the end. 

The next day I took the Mrs. down with me. She fell asleep in the sun and I got to get some more fishing in. Win – Win.

I was first off the mark on sweet corn this time. Same deal but didn’t feel anywhere near as heavy as Saturdays fishy. Ah ‘ it’s only a little one.’ I said......WRONG!

Anyhoo. I got it ashore eventually, losing a shoe in the process.

Next was herself. She pulled in a lovely little one that was very silver in colour.

All in all a nice weekend in the sun, by the lake. I can’t say I’m completely converted to fresh water fishing, but it was nice to go home smelling of vanilla and sweet corn rather than pilchard.

post-24607-080025600 1353889017_thumb.jpg

Nice work on the first freshwater success. Being in Canberra you have access to some good inland fish. There is always a good supply of Cod, yellowbelly and with the odd trout thrown in for good measure on the Murrumbidgee river.. It is a healthy system. I have heard of some big Cod being caught in lake Ginninderra also. I have a feeling you are going to thoroughly enjoy yourself when you get a couple of the natives under your belt.

Nice work on the first freshwater success. Being in Canberra you have access to some good inland fish. There is always a good supply of Cod, yellowbelly and with the odd trout thrown in for good measure on the Murrumbidgee river.. It is a healthy system. I have heard of some big Cod being caught in lake Ginninderra also. I have a feeling you are going to thoroughly enjoy yourself when you get a couple of the natives under your belt.

ooooo.... I would be pretty keen to get into some of that!

Any one willing to show me the ropes?