Whiting on Plastics

lostproperty

Went for a Kayak/Snorkel on the weekend. Had a 100mm bloodworm wriggler with S-factor and a small vibe, having a few casts didnt have much luck.

Went for a quick snorkel and spotted heaps of schools of whiting in the shallows so went back and got the kayak and started flicking lures through the schools without any interest.

Just wondering what are the best lures to use for the whiting? There were some monsters in the school as well they were on the bottom in about a 1 - 2 meters of water, would they still go for a surface popper if they are that deep? Or is there a soft plastic that you find works well for them? Im sure next time I head out I will encounter them again, but may have to bring some worms with me instead to try and coax them to strike

Thanks in advance

Whiting are regarded as tricky fish to catch on plastics. I've managed a few on grubz and small wriggles. For these I just used a slow roll with the odd tiny jighop.

Poppers are best in say under a meter of water. You will occasionally get them in slightly deeper but not much.

Baits are best in the situation your talking about. Live worms and nippers

Best advice is to use small plastics, fish them really slow and lather them in sfactor.

Good luck!

Only problem with live worms on the yak in summer is stopping them from cooking haha, but maybe next time i head out ill have to try bring some with me anyway and see how they go, maybe a nipple type plastic with s-factor could be a winner ?

I think squidy are developing one I saw some photo on the FB page a little while ago

1_Pro-Critter-Bloodworm.png?rand=860028145

Anyone tried these out? They look good

Edited by DownToFish

They are hard to coax on plastics but always change around to see what works, in that depth a blade with a faster retrieve can work (accidental bycatch for me a few times) and it wouldnt be a bad idea to see if you could get any on surface. if you have em with you give it a try. The plastic you have shown is the squidgy critter and has been out for a few years, i love them for bream but dont see why they wont work on whiting.

Ahhhhhh I'll try the vibe one a faster retrieve I was just doing the lift and wind, but I understand how making it more more erratically might enduce a strike, cheers for the help.

What jig head do you use on the critter and how do you rig it up?

Have found from many years of fishing, that if the whiting are in shallow water and you can see them, they can probably see you and tend not to bite too well. For these conditions, try early morning or late afternoon. The whiting may be feeding on squirt worms this time of year, so worm baits are the go, and the lures/soft plastics will not work too well at all. Even nippers do not fare too well when the squirt worms are in big numbers.

i've caught whiting on squidgy bloodworm wrigglers (65mm), as well as 2" Gulp! grubs and Gulp! sandworms (cut in half). Plastics work but as others have said slow your retrieve down. Only ever caught a small one on a vibe and from memory the retrieve was pretty quick.

I haven't had the most experience with whiting but I'd think that sandworm imitations will give you best results. Match the hatch and all that...

• 3 weeks later...

Might be a little late but the last 3 sessions i've been getting good whiting (to 35cm) on plastics. The Z-man Grubz in Bloodworm and Watermelon Red.

Fish it like you would for flatties and you should get some!

Cheers, Tom

I've foul hooked a few on small wrigglers. Whether thats a case of just pulling the hook through a school or that they were investigating it tentitivley, I have no idea. But if the latter was the case then a reeeeeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyyy slow retrieve might be a winner.

Either way, good luck.